Arrived in Erbil around 3:30 pm with Andy, Lisa, Zander, Zephie, and my new roommate, Sarah. It seemed much easier to navigate the airport than last time, but I think it must have been because there were three extra sets of hands and a lot more experience! Driving from Erbil to Duhok, it didn't seem like we'd been gone all that long.
Bus ride home:
Sarah and Zephie
Andy and Lisa
Lisa and Zander
We got to our apartment about 7:20 pm after stopping at Newroz Telecom to pick up an internet card (so thankful they were actually open!)
We were greeted outside our door by the neighbor kids who promptly helped us take our bags up to the apartment. Andy turned on the water for us, we switched on the electricity and in no time at all everything was up and running. Sarah unpacked and moved into her room. I set up the internet and was successful in creating an adhoc wireless network for both of us to use - hello iPad!
Went to bed around 10, but couldn't fall asleep until after 2 am. It was hard to come to terms with the fact that I am really back here, that I am jumping into the ring again for round 2 with no guarantees that it will be any easier. As I lay in bed asking the Lord for help, I was reminded of a conversation with my best friend, Jessica. She was telling me that as we re-enter the arena God has called us to (whether it is having your 10th child or going back to a foreign country), we tend to remember the difficulties and trials, when we should be focusing on all the grace (at times extraordinary grace) that was given to meet those struggles. I pray that these next ten months will be evidence of that grace and the goodness of the One who provides it.
Sunday, August 26th:
Slept in later than I had planned, but Sarah and I got ready quickly so we could run our errands before the day got too hot. We left at 10 am and it was already about 90 F. I showed Sarah around the market and we picked up a new faucet for the entryway sink, a showerhead, and some miscellaneous items. I had to mentally prepare to face the barrage of staring eyes, smells, and feelings of complete cluelessness. I don't often pray for strength, endurance, and wisdom as I park at the grocery store back home, but it is something I do here every time I go to the market. After dropping off our things at home, we went to the nearby shops where we picked up some groceries - peanut butter, juice, water, chocolate (the essentials) :)
In the afternoon, I switched from tour guide to handyman:
Sarah and I cleaned house, hung up some pics...
...then rested during the heat of the day. I wasn't really feeling motivated to unpack, but dove in and got the job done. John and Mary had been delayed by a day, so it was a relief to hear they were in a taxi and on their way. Bishops, Sarah, and I met up at Sarky's for dinner, then brought back a pizza for the Nelsons. It was fun to hang out as a team again. I finally felt at home and able to thank the Lord for bringing me back. Missing Dan, Julie, and Stacy, but excited to see what this new year will bring.