Sunday, June 2, 2013

May 31st and June 1st: Fellowship, TX Chicken, and Pepperoni Pizza

Friday, May 31st:
This morning I went to fellowship ... and was overwhelmed as they showered me with cards, prayers, and kind words. Tears welled up as I realized that this would be my last time with my brothers and sisters here. Even if I should come back, some of them will not be returning then, the kids will have grown, and the group just won't be the same. I have been very blessed by their encouragement and support ... though we all do different things, we have a common purpose that unites us in a way I've never experienced before. I hope that the things I've learned with this group will help me become a better part of a community back home.

After our study time, we shared a light lunch together. My throat's been swollen and hurt more today than it has. I wasn't able to talk much, but enjoyed sharing everyone's company. After the others left, I stayed and visited with "Julie" ... our last time together. As always, she put everything aside to sit and talk with me even though their family was going on a visit later that evening. Around 5pm, they dropped me off at Texas Chicken where I met up with students from 6A. The restaurant offers free wifi, so my students spent most of the time on their iPads, tablets, and smart phones. If you can't beat 'em, you might as well join them! I pulled out my iPad and asked them "teacher-y" questions (what are you doing this summer? what will you do after you finish school? what are your hopes and dreams?) in between status posts on Facebook. :)

With 6A:

Andy, Lisa, and Co. came and the kids made all over Zephie. We had a nice time together ... I hope it encouraged my kids to keep in touch over the next year. One of my students gave me a ride home ... I wasn't feeling well and thankful to go to bed early.

Saturday, June 1st:
Even though I was in bed by 9pm, a mosquito woke me up a couple hours later! So frustrating to be woken up by a buzzing noise in your ear! It took me awhile to fall asleep ... suffering from bites all over my arms and face.

When I got up in the morning, I went over to the Nelson's kitchen and made some pizza dough for tonight. I also roasted up some extra veggies that I had. Spent the rest of the morning/afternoon packing up boxes and cleaning up. There's only so much I can pack up at a time, so it seems to drag on and on, but emotionally I don't think I would be able to do much more anyway. Hopefully when Tuesday/Wednesday comes around I'll be as ready as I can be for the final move.

At 5, Andy and Lisa picked me up on their way home from the market. We went back to their place and made pizzas for dinner (using pepperoni that Sarah sent me)! So yummy! The guys went to play some basketball around 8:30. Lisa and I hung out, organized the art area and talked until the guys got back. She drove me home and then I went to bed a little before midnight. Now that there's no school, my nights are getting later and later!

As I was getting ready for bed, I spotted a lizard in the bathroom! Yikes! Decided to brush my teeth in the kitchen and deal with the lizard later...