Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 15th and 16th: Lost My Voice and Our Internet but Gained Friends from America


Monday, October 15th:
My sore throat was worse this morning, so I kept my talking in class to a minimum … it helped me realize that I probably need to say much less than I do! In my fifth grade classes, we played multiplication Bingo. It was a good way to review the essentials (which they are desperately in need of). The students drew their own Bingo cards and wrote a multiplication fact in each box. I called out the answers, which meant they had to think about the problems backwards. The winners got a “No Homework Pass.”

Two days ago, I mentioned in 5A that the students should not try to bargain with me after I’ve written their name on the board with an X. (They usually ask, “Miss, if I be good, you will clean my name?”) I told them they ought to be good because God sees them and they are responsible to Him. I didn’t think anything of it, but today when I reviewed the rules, the student I had been specifically addressing said, “And we should be good because God knows we are good, not to have our names cleaned.” I was shocked, and then I was thankful that they are hearing some of the things I say. Better the important things, than most of what I stammer out. (As a side note, I stammer a lot in my classes. The kids don’t make fun of it, for which I am thankful, but it makes me rely on the Lord to give clarity of thought and to keep it from becoming a distraction.)

In sixth grade, they finished their surveys and drew a bar graph and a circle graph to represent that data. I think they had fun doing the activity and collecting data. It was sad to see how many of the groups couldn’t work together … something I would like to improve, Lord willing. God was very gracious and I had enough strength to teach the entire day. After school, I was just about to leave (actually praying that the Lord would give me wisdom as to whether I should stay or go home to rest), when the curriculum coordinator asked me to take report cards to grades 5B and 5A. Not only was it an opportunity to be helpful, but I also got to see the “responsible” teacher’s comments for 5B. Thankfully, they were the same as I would have written, so it was encouraging to know that I don’t have unreasonable expectations.

Walked home after that and took a nap. Then Sarah and I cleaned to get ready for our company. At 6 pm, the team met up at Sarky’s. When it came time for Sarah and me to order, the owner remembered our pizza preference again. It is strange (and nice at the same time) to be settled in enough to be a “regular.”

We stopped at the small secondhand store near Sarky’s before going home. I picked up some utensils, a utensil container, a large mug that seemed perfect for fall tea, and a glass. (Which reminded me of Dan, since he likes drinking out of glass – me too!) By the time we got home, I had body aches and a high temperature again. My throat hurt worse too. Took some vitamins, drank some tea and went to bed.

Tuesday, October 16th:
Thankful to be feeling a little better when I woke up. My classes went well and I didn’t have to strain my voice. Three boys from 5B ended up losing their break. It is tough to “stick with it” when I’m not feeling well, but I know that in the long run consistency is more important than the severity of the discipline.

As I am writing this in hindsight, there wasn’t anything memorable about my classes. When I got home, I mentioned to Sarah that we had used so many GBs of Internet. No sooner had I said it, than the Internet disconnected and told us we needed to recharge. We won’t be able to recharge until the 25th. In the meantime we have the option of paying for 10GB for the same amount that we normally pay for one month, or we can limp along on “borrowed” Internet and wifi at Texas Chicken… I think we’ll try to hold out if we can.

Around 3 pm, the Mareen crew (that’s the name of the alley where John, Mary, Henry, Sarah and I live) headed over to A&L’s. We visited until the group from “Amreeka” arrived. After they rested and got cleaned up, we headed off for dinner at Shindokah Restaurant. Thankfully one of the local friends from CSM Erbil had driven all of them up in an H1, which was at our disposal during their time here. We were able to ride to the restaurant together (all 16 of us). It was a little tight, but a lot of fun.

After dinner, we went back to A&L’s for candy and the “Name Game.” Team Duhok knows how to have a good time! Since there were an odd number of adults, I ended up playing for both teams – the perfect situation for a competitive person! It was a late night when we were finally dropped off at our apartment. Two of the college girls stayed with Sarah and me, so we showed them around, then headed off to bed.