Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 21st and 22nd: Mercy, Class Update, and the Orphanage


Sunday, October 21st:
The weather was significantly cooler this morning. It seems like Fall is actually here! Mary and I went to school early so I could make copies of today’s test. Thankfully there was plenty of paper and ink! Classes went well … I no longer feel like I am just “getting through the day.” My students seem to be settling into our routine and I don’t feel like I am struggling against them as often.

With 15 minutes left, about half of 6B was still struggling on their test. Even though I had told them multiple times to memorize the chart on divisibility shortcuts, they either hadn’t taken the time to study it or they had forgotten it. After having them turn in their papers, I told the students I was going to show them mercy. “Oh, Miss Julie taught us this word!” I told them to write down the definition on a piece of paper, then take out their books and study the chart for two minutes. After they reviewed and helped each other understand the shortcuts, I gave them back their tests to finish. The definitions were interesting to read. One student wrote, “I hate giving mercy, but I love getting mercy.” Another wrote, “When God (had) mercy (on) the world, He [brought] a rainbow.”

After the drama in 6A last week, I had them write about “Love others more than yourself.” (My 5 year old brother was memorizing that this summer.) Reading through their answers, it is apparent they don’t understand this concept. “We love others because they love us.” “To make more friends.”

After school, I went to the market for time to process the past week while picking up a couple pens, some dried fruit, and another Internet card. As I headed up the stairs near our home, I ran into Sarah who was walking back from school. We caught up on the day, and then I took a long nap (still tired from our week with company and the basketball clinic). At 5pm, I got to Skype with my family. It’s been a long time since we’ve talked. Even though the Internet connection isn’t as good and it was difficult for them to hear me, I enjoyed seeing their faces and telling them about the latest happenings.

Monday, October 22nd:
5B is doing much better. They aren’t the perfect class yet, but they respond to my warnings and overall I see more attentiveness. God is opening my eyes to students’ good behavior, which is encouraging. He is also showing me that I have to trust Him with the situations I can’t overcome. John encouraged us with this verse a couple weeks ago, “Let us not grow weary in well doing…”

5A is back on track. “Mr. Indignant” from last week is now the model student. The rest of the class is eager to learn, though I have a couple “stragglers” who don’t put any effort into their homework assignments and are suffering on their tests as a result.

6B was quieter today. I told them they wouldn’t get their tests back unless we finished everything on my lesson plan. I had to cover two lessons in all of my classes. For 5th grade both lessons were review, but sixth grade needed more explanation. Thankfully, they were attentive and seemed to understand. I still had a few students who didn’t get their tests … they were still talking when I left and I don’t think they even noticed!

6A is doing really well. Two of the most troublesome students at the beginning of the year are not only attentive in class, but doing a fantastic job on their homework assignments! I leave with a grateful heart every day. They are a very loving group … the girls painted my nails during our break the other day, and they are always coming up to give me hugs.

After school, I took a short nap and did some grading until J picked me up to go to the orphanage at 3 pm. This was my first time back. I was curious to see their response. The women weren’t very friendly in the Spring, so I wasn’t sure if they would be happy to see us. We walked in without anyone coming to welcome us … then one of the older girls came around the corner. Alost immediately I was whisked off with hugs and kisses on the cheeks. She opened the door to their shared bedroom. “I have a surprise” she told them in Kurdish. More kisses and hugs. My Kurdish is a little better and we were able to communicate about our time away, school, my family, etc. (It was a good way to practice what my students are teaching me.) I had my iPad and was able to show them pictures from home. They couldn’t believe that the trees were so big and they loved seeing the pictures of the river.

J dropped me off at A&L’s for our team time. We prayed through sections of Psalm 119, and then went to dinner at the Turkish shwarma restaurant. After a nice walk home, I was able to finish all the grading that had piled up over the last week and crawl into bed by 9:30pm.