I spent a very restful (somewhat lazy) day at Andy and Lisa's. It was raining heavily outside, so it was the perfect type of day to curl up. I went back to my place in the late afternoon, and emptied out a bucketful of water from the leak in my window. The concrete is damp in several more places now. Later, the curriculum coordinator phoned to request help writing a letter. We managed to work it out over the phone. That was probably the most productive part of my day! :)
The city turned off for several hours and I was freezing by the time I went to bed. It came on sometime after 10pm.
Friday, December 21st:
Got up this morning and listened to a sermon from my home church. Around 11:30, I went over to "Julie's" house, just to hang out. The kids showed me their artwork, we ate lunch, and had an enjoyable afternoon together. At 3, they gave me a ride over to the English Institute so I could rehearse for tomorrow's joint fellowship service. It was a lot of fun to play again with other musicians. There are some EXTREMELY talented expats here. One plays the recorder by ear and makes up her own harmonies! It is inspiring to play along and just listen to the others. I love the feeling of being in unison with a group, especially through instruments. It is another type of nonverbal communication - like a shared secret, a knowing smile. And to play in unison praises to God makes the heart extra joyful! What a glorious day that will be when we are gathered around the throne praising Him together.
The girls drove me back home where I grabbed my present and headed out the door for an 8th grade student's birthday party. The party was at the same sweet shop where I went to my last birthday party - just around the corner from my house.
Some of the students singing "Happy Birthday"
A yummy blended fruit drink
And of course, no party would be complete without indoor fireworks!
After cake, we went over to Pizza Hot.
I enjoyed hanging out with the older girls since I don't get to spend much time with them at school. When I got home around 8:30pm, the city electricity was off, so I mopped the floor and cleaned the bathroom to keep warm. Just as I finished the shower room, the city came back on! The accompanying "ding" is a good reminder to thank the Lord for "small" things - like electricity!
Later in the evening I was able to chat with my friend, Jessica from back home. It was good to touch bases and know that she is doing well.