Tuesday, December 4, 2012

December 2nd and 3rd: Recovery from a Cold


Sunday, December 2nd:Still not feeling very good this morning. I was pretty worn out by the time I got to school, but a group of girls showering me with "Good Mornings" and "Love you, Miss" helped me feel re-energized for the day. My students could tell I wasn't feeling well and they tried to be considerate.

When I got home, I didn't feel like doing very much. I took a nap and read a lot. I've started another book by Amy Carmichael, "Things As They Are." It is deeply convicting and makes me realize the pettiness of my thoughts and concerns.


Just before 6pm, I finished the little bit of grading I had, and then Skyped with the family. They are all doing well. Mom pulled out luggage the other day for her trip. Jaden and Eithen scooped it up and went off to play. She came in and found them packing up their things. "Where are you going, Eithen?" He gave her a surprised look, as though she should know, "I-Rack with Sissy!"


We finished the Skype call a little earlier than usual, and I was in bed by 8pm!


Monday, December 3rd:
Woke up at 3am, not able to breathe through my nose. I fell asleep sometime after 4:30 and then got up at 5:30am. Still not feeling very well, but thankful for the strength God provides. A couple hard lessons, though 5B was surprisingly quiet and good today. I only have one or two boys now who are consistently disruptive in class. 5A was very disrespectful, almost refusing to listen to the lesson. I dismissed the "good" kids early, thanking them for honoring me with their attention, then made the others work on the lesson until the end of class. Several of them still refused to work on the problems and I gave them a longer assignment to complete by tomorrow. Some of the girls have been passing notes in class and the notes are filled with unkind words about each other. I talked to them after school today and reminded them that we are to be kind to others even when they are not kind to us. I keep running into this theme and know there are areas in my life where I need to apply it. One girl persisted, "But she ..." I told her that God looks at OUR hearts and we aren't responsible to change the other person. We are simply to do what God requires of us, even when that means forgive them. "But Miss, I CAN'T forgive her!" I encouraged her that it is impossible for us - I struggle with it too - but we can ask God for hearts to forgive.


6B and 6A were pretty good. They can get pretty talkative at times. One of my students (the one who had to repeat this year) has started to show disrespectful behavior towards me in class. I wrote him a note last week and he said he would change. Today he started to throw a little tantrum when I made him work through a problem (and it was keeping him from his break). Thankfully, he stopped, took a deep breath and said, "Okay, Miss, I'll try." I helped him through the problem, making it a little less painful and sent him on his way. It is encouraging to see students fighting their natural tendencies. I think he is used to getting his way, and if he doesn't, he just forces his way right on through. I make sure he knows that this won't work in my class, but keep the reins loose, hoping to bring him in with love and patience in the end.


After school, I walked home with a clear blue sky overhead and the sun shining all around. My mind wandered to thoughts of infinity. God demonstrates His infinite love and patience with me every day. There are an infinite number of things that may arise in the day, but He controls them all. There are infinite things I do not understand about God, but He continues to grow me and allows me to teach others. My students have an infinite number of complexities that I certainly can not know, but that God knows and guides me in. I enjoyed the walk in the sunshine, but was thankful when I reached home and could snuggle up in bed. I rested and read until team time, which was at John and Mary's. We went through 1 John (which not surprisingly dealt with loving others). We spent some time looking at what it means "not through word and tongue, but in deed and in truth." This went with a passage in 1 Peter that I read in the afternoon. It talks about having compassion on one another, being "pitiful and courteous." When I looked up the definition of these words, the dictionary said that pitiful means "compassionate" and that "courteous" comes from the Middle English, "having manners fit for a royal court." This made more sense when I realized that we are a "royal priesthood." Our manners towards one another ought to reflect our lineage in Christ. Love, honesty, faithfulness ... the fruit of the Spirit that I see lacking in me. John highlighted the verse, "and we shall be like Him when we see Him as He is." This is our encouragement, this is what we long for.


After team time, we decided to try a new restaurant! It was near the Cali-Cafe restaurant we tried out a few weeks ago. It was a really nice place, family-friendly and they served a LOT of salads! We left full and satisfied, without having to "take a loan out of the bank" as John put it. Six adults and three kids ate for about $40 (and we got leftovers!)


While these past few day have been physically restful, they've been spiritually challenging and convicting. At least I am still growing! Thankful to crawl into bed again and praying I continue to feel a little better each day.