Today was an amazing day! After last night I didn't think I could feel that spoiled for a long time, but today was just as thrilling (Thursdays are always "Thrilling" according to Dad).
There was still some drama in 5A, but the girls promised they would work it out before tonight's party. Prissy wrote her five things and it showed me just how little she understands what she has been given undeservedly ... it reminded me of the passage in Matthew where the servant who has been forgiven much can not forgive his fellow servant who owes him a couple cents.
During one of the breaks, the girls from 5B came up to me upset that I had invited the 5A girls! They told me they wouldn't come, but I implored them to try to love the other girls (I know they can be difficult) and to come because they love me. (This has been my petition as I realize I need to love others not necessarily for their own sakes, but out of love for my Heavenly Father who has ordained all of my relationships.)
6B wrote Happy Birthday notes to me in Miss Lisa's art class :) They were really sweet and very artistic! A couple girls brought me Snickers bars in 6A (I use it as an example for fractions in a lot of my lessons, so they know Snickers are one of my favorites.) 6A wanted to know how old I would be, so I turned it into a math problem and made them figure out my age as a fraction of a century.
After school, Sarah and I taxied home. I prepped dough for cinnamon twists and started the frosting for the cake. Around 1:40, Sarah and I took her luggage down to a taxi and drove back to the school. At 2pm, her driver to Erbil arrived. There was a discussion between the administrator and the driver about price and destination, then Sarah was off! She'll be in the States with family and friends until January 7th.
When I got back home, I made a batch of cinnamon twists and some cream cheese frosting. As I finished baking, Andy and Lisa were at John and Mary's to give Henry his present, I poked my head in to give Henry my gift of cinnamon twists (he isn't old enough to really enjoy them, so his mama helped him with those...) I'd forgotten to ask them earlier, but Andy and Lisa were up for coming to my party (I wasn't sure a bunch of adults would want to be surrounded by 5th grade girls eating cake and ice cream!) John and Mary had already agreed to come - they wanted to celebrate Henry's birthday and graciously decided to have their celebration alongside mine! I was a little concerned after hearing that some of the fathers might stay with their daughters. There wouldn't be any men representing me or overseeing our group. It was a relief to have Andy and John there. None of the parents stayed, but I think they were reassured that there were other teachers present. (A couple of my students thought Andy was my brother! I tried to explain, but in the end, we are a "nice family" as Zander reminds us, and I didn't mind the girls thinking that we were all related.)
The girls came in groups. A couple here, a couple there. By 6:30pm, all of my 5th grade girls (but one who had already told me she couldn't come) had arrived! Two younger sisters came as well. All in all, 18 girls were there!
We ate and talked, then they told me it was time for cake and presents. They are hesitant to try new foods, but many of the girls enjoyed the cake. I was showered with gifts from all of the girls. I didn't realize how much they observe me until I started opening presents. Most of the girls picked out things that match the outfits I wear to school. I taught them one of the phrases we say in America when something looks like our style. After that, they were thrilled each time I pulled out a gift and commented, "This looks just like me!" All of the girls were on their best behavior, Prissy especially, and it was actually a pleasure to have her there. I waited for her to roll her eyes or say something mean, but it never came and she seemed anxious to please me.
Two of the girls stayed until the very end. I sat with them and waited for one of their fathers to arrive. We talked for a long time. They happily chatted away, sharing their likes and dislikes, asking me questions, and telling me about their families. One of the girls (the one who lost her uncle a couple weeks ago) told me she goes to a small church where the Bible is read in Arabic and English. She invited me to come with her sometime. After a half hour, one of them asked, "Miss, should I call my father now?" I was surprised, thinking he was already on his way, but I was glad that I'd been given an opportunity to get to know my girls outside of class. Her father came within 15 minutes and they offered me a ride home. I had so many presents that both girls had to help me carry them!
I was exhausted by the time I arrived home, but very thankful for my students. They are a blessing to me, teaching me so many things and reminding me how patiently God deals with me. I love teaching my students to see the beauty in little things. Their minds are not worn down by the cares of this world, and I appreciate that they are sensitive to the lessons found in their small, practical worlds.
Friday, December 7th:
My birthday continues for the third day in a row!
This morning I woke up a quarter of a century old (if you couldn't solve yesterday's math question...). I threw together a cherry cobbler, then got ready for fellowship. I headed off (remembering to bring all the snacks with me). It was good to see everyone. The goodies were a hit (phew!) and I enjoyed sharing my birthday with everyone. Some of the girls found out that it was my birthday. Not only did they invite me to lunch after fellowship, they also peanut butter, chocolate cookies and a lovely handmade card.
We looked at Galatians 6, and I was really encouraged by the exhortation to "know Christ" (referring back to 1 Corinthians 2:1-5). We were reminded that though life here is difficult at times, our focus and priority must be to know Christ. It is easy to make a list of things we want to do and see happen, but all of this will fall into place as we strive to know Christ. Even as we bear one another's burdens, the call is the same - we can't simply relieve the physical burden, we need to make sure we are building up one another spiritually so that we are more equipped to bear our loads. This past week, I was meditating on speaking the truth in love and had come to the conviction that I need to make sure I am not saying the truth for my own sake and comfort, but for the other's benefit (with love for them a desire to see them grow). Today's lesson articulated my thoughts more clearly. If I would love my brother or sister, I must point them to the Truth that will not lead them to themselves, or me, or my ideas, but will lead them to the Source of all Wisdom.
After fellowship, the girls took me to a new restaurant called Azadi. It was nice to be treated to lunch out on my birthday (just like back home)! The restaurant was clean and spacious and the food was good - we even got a preview of it before we ordered! We stayed long after they brought out the fruit (the indication that "you can go home now") and enjoyed talking and getting to know one another better.
When I got home, I went over to John and Mary's to check on their electricity status. They were able to get about half of their outlets working, and had been able to use our apartment to warm up during Henry's nap-time. Around 5, we ate Pizza Hot together. Later, I Skyped with Dad and Mom for several hours. We had some problems with Internet and I lost city power (so no heat), but God blessed us with a great conversation. It was a lot of fun, spending my birthday morning (PST) with them! As I fell asleep, God answered our prayers and the city electricity came on. I fell asleep to the drip, drip, drip of water leaking through the ceiling...