Thursday, January 17th:
Today I gave the kids a quiz ... it was only supposed to take the first 15 minutes of class, but sixth grade acted like they'd never seen the material before (and I really thought it would be easy!) I think 6A was not doing well because they are counting on me to do the work for them (and "help us to pass, Miss") so I told them they would have to write me an essay about how they plan to learn their lessons and retain the information. We'll see how many bring it on Sunday.
When I got home, I watched Henry for a couple hours so John and Mary could go to the market on a date. He napped for the first part, then woke up around 3:10 (when the city power "binged" to life) and we played for another hour or so. We had a lot of fun together and it is neat to see how much he's grown since he first came to us. I remember him laying on the couch in a blue sleeper, looking like a baby doll with perfectly pouting lips and tiny little fingers.
At 5:30, Mareen Street went to Texas Chicken. I had texted Lisa, but she never responded. As we were sitting in the restaurant waiting for our meal, we looked over at the door and Andy, Lisa, and the Z's walked in! Lisa never got my text, they had just shown up on a whim! I guess TX Chicken is the place to go if you're an expat and it's Thursday night. I also saw one of my students while we were there. It was good to meet her family - we've been invited over for dinner sometime. (Her mom makes really good food - I had some at the school picnic last year.)
When we got home, I wrote some emails, then went to bed, really tired.
Friday, January 18th:
Went to fellowship this morning - it took awhile to find a taxi. I taught the children's study. We talked about Esther (one of my favorites). After fellowship, the sun was shining and the day was so beautiful I decided to go up on the roof and read. I took a cup of tea with me. (The tea was one of the ones brought from home. My favorite so far is called "Comfort and Joy.") On the roof, I had a good time of prayer, reflection, and study. It was peaceful quiet, the sky was clear blue, and I could look out at the mountains across the valley, still frosted with a layer of snow. Later in the afternoon, I took a short nap, then listened to a sermon from home. We were going to try to get together as a team later in the evening, but Mary wasn't feeling well (there's a bug going around), so we decided to postpone. Sarah and I watched a movie with popcorn and ice cream. Off to bed around 10:30.