Caleb and I hanging out at the apartment:
Friday, January 4th:
Today was an impromptu-ly fun day (meaning I didn't have a lot planned, but everything worked out for a wonderful time.) Mom, Caleb and I went to fellowship (we made it on time even after waking up a little late!) It was fun to introduce Mom to all the people I've come to call family over the last several months. After fellowship, we had soup together and Mom got to know everyone a little better. Around 1:30, we piled in J&J's car and went to their house for the afternoon. We had a leisurely time while the littlest one took her afternoon nap. After she woke up, we drove up to a friend's sheep pen. This was the most impromptu moment and probably the most memorable!
Pretending to be rams:
I got to hold a three-day old lamb!
Caleb got to hold a lamb too:
Caleb, the shepherd:
After we climbed the mountain behind the sheep pen, we got to watch the sheep coming home. The shepherds gave a special signal and all the sheep went running into the pen. Meanwhile, the goats scattered and were left outside ... very symbolic!
Today I introduced Mom and Caleb to the market. We explored lots of different shops and then I took Caleb back to the "man section." He tried on (and bought) an Army vest. A local who had worked with the US Army was only too happy to help us talk to the owner and insisted on giving Caleb the Kurdish patch to go with the vest.
At the vegetable den, I saw my friend, the bag-boy, Muhammad (sorry if I didn't spell it the same as last time, there are multiple ways to spell it and no "right" way). He sold us a bag for our oranges, kumquats, and apples. I think he was surprised that I remembered his name. As we left, these boys were asking for money. I gave them my change and then we took a picture with them. They were smiling and laughing right up until the camera clicked, then time for their Kurdish poses!
For dinner, I took Mom and Caleb to Sarky's. Caleb really enjoyed the pizza.
Afterwards, we stopped at the second-hand market (with dishes and cups) which is right next door. We had fun digging through things and unearthing "treasures." Around 7:30, we were at Andy and Lisa's, hanging out and eating American candy. We brought gifts for everyone and Zander loved his new Hot Wheels track! It was a late evening, but I was thankful that Mom got to spend time with my "family" in Duhok.
This morning we met an expat friend at the Gely. He and Caleb had some guy time - they went on a hike up flag mountain, got lunch, went to a tea shop, got a haircut, and visited friends in the market. They had a great time.
Caleb at the top!
His new haircut:
Meanwhile, Mom and I went to the bala (second-hand) clothing section of the market. It was fun to introduce her to the "art" of bala shopping. We also went through the market (it was a little easier to shop without Caleb) and bought a tea set, Kurdish house clothes, and a variety of gifts for her to take home. At 2, we went to H's house and then to her husband's coffee shop. He made us special coffees and Caleb met us there. It was really nice to have Mom meet H and hear her heart for the people here. Around 4, they took Caleb to a friend's house so he could play with the 10-year-old son while Mom and I went to the orphanage.
Mom and I had a great visit with the girls. As I walked in the door, one of the little ones came running up and jumped in my arms. We gave them some gifts from America and through broken English/Kurdish talked about our favorite things. At one point, the girls asked about orphanages in America and we explained that families take in the fatherless and sometimes adopt them. After an hour and a half, they didn't want us to leave, but we had to pick up Caleb and then meet up for dinner at Andy and Lisa's.
John and Mary and Henry arrived back safely this afternoon, so it was fun to catch up with them and enjoy a home-cooked meal.
Caleb's first day of school in Iraq! The snack man gave him a free candy bar, which was a great start to his morning. Mom and Caleb trailed along to all my classes. Caleb's comment at the end of the day, "Sis, you need to be stricter." :)
After school we went to the home of one of my students (far right). He and Caleb became friends, exchanging emails by the end of the evening. Mom and I had a really encouraging visit with his mother who is a Christian woman.
After our visit, we went out for dinner to Al Azaim with the team:
Tuesday, January 8th:
One more day of school for Caleb. Today he sat in on the 6th grade classes. The students looked after him. His favorite class was Language Arts where the teacher asked him to read aloud and then joked around with him and the rest of the class. In the meantime, I reviewed with my other classes for their test tomorrow (yep, we're jumping right back in) and then Mom helped me hand out prizes for the students who met their semester goals. It was fun to see their faces light up.
After school, we taxied home (which is so much easier with Caleb - the drivers are more willing to pick up a blonde American boy than me.) Mom got all her bags together and then we walked to the nearby sweet shop for one last ice cream for Caleb. We walked back, expecting the driver to arrive around 2pm. He didn't come until close to 3pm! I wasn't complaining though, since it was nice to spend those last moments together.
I love you too, Mom!
Hard to believe their visit has already come and gone. City power is off ... my hands are cold, but my heart is warm with thoughts of them!