Monday, January 21, 2013

January 19th and 20th: Workin It Out


Saturday, January 19th:
Today was really laid-back. I got up early (my wake-up time seems to be hard-wired), wrote some emails and read a book. Around 10, I was getting antsy, so decided to do one of the workout videos Mom brought with her. A huge thank you to my church family back home ... the workout was great! When you can't get out of the house, it is nice to do something that gets your heart racing and your muscles moving. Part way through, we lost city power. I took a shower anyway, then took a nap after lunch. The afternoon was spent grading. I used my new 207 pens from home - my favorite! And enjoyed a cup of coffee from home.

In the evening, I Skyped with my family. I had some "business" things to take care, and was thankful to be able to talk for a couple hours as the last part of my day.

Sunday, January 20th:
Went to school energized for the day. I had more time during my morning routine and was able to get a lot done. The kids even told me I looked happier. There has been a pretty bad bug going around, so after shaking my students' hands this morning, I made sure to use a lot of Purel. In my second class, we had a good discussion about infinity - we were looking at the fractions that equal one (there is an infinite number) and I asked them Who is infinite. They knew the answer right away and then we talked about our souls being infinite. Halfway through that class, one of my students threw up! Immediately, the School Safety videos I'd watched for the charter school came flooding back. It took me a minute to realize that protocol probably wouldn't be the same. A couple of the girls took the student to the nurse. Thankfully, one of the cleaning ladies came in and took care of the mess and I was able to keep right on teaching.

Sixth grade was better today. I ended up playing a "good behavior" game in 6A. Each time I caught their team being unusually attentive or responsive, I let them put an X or an O on the tic-tac-toe board. At first they thought I was just going back and forth between teams, but once they realized they could go twice in a row, the class became really attentive.

When I finished teaching, the c.c. asked me to take around a flier to the 4th and 5th grade classes to announce the upcoming talent competition - CSM's Got Talent. John and I have been asked to be judges - Simon and Paula! :P Exerting that extra little bit of energy to get each class to pay attention and then explain the rules, wore me out. All of a sudden, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. (I broke my resistance band during my warm-up yesterday and think it strained some of the muscles in my left shoulder.) Sarah and I went to the market, but I was having a hard time focusing. When we got home, I laid down for a little while, then went back out with Lisa around 3pm.

Later in the evening I Skyped with my family, but sitting down made me realize how tired I was. We chatted a little less than usual, then I finished my schoolwork and went to bed.