I spent the morning sewing (it is fun to have a project to keep me busy!) Then Hannah made pancakes and we enjoyed a leisurely late breakfast together. After coffee, I went over to my friend, "Julie's" house and caught up on the latest happenings. While I was there, her littlest daughter (she's almost two) said my name ... "Helen" isn't always easy, so I asked her if she could say "Sissy." The little boy coached her, "Say, S-i-see." And out it came, "Sissy!" It was nice to be called Sissy again ... I haven't heard it since Caleb was here. We'll see if she remembers it the next time I see her. "Julie" gave me a ride home as she took one of her neighbors to see Andy for physical therapy. I rode in the back seat with her little boy (4) which helped fill my need for some "brother" time.
I walked part of the way home to look for a few things and enjoy the nice weather (everything is really clear after yesterday's yucky rain ... of course everyone has had to wash their cars.) Despite a couple rude remarks, it was a nice walk.
I got some grading done before Hannah and I made brownie batter pancakes for our team dinner. We went over to Nelson's around 5:30 and enjoyed Mary's tasty Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps with a Ramen Noodle salad (made by Lisa). Afterwards, Hannah and I put caramel sauce and apple slices between two pancakes to make little dessert sandwiches (Hannah's idea). They were really good and everyone wanted seconds!
After dinner, I went over to Andy and Lisa's for the Skype call. Andy had practice, so Lisa and I had some girl time. I helped put Zander to bed (more "brother" time) then we had our conference Skype call. Andy got home around 10pm. We ended up looking at old pics from 2003/2004 (that was 10 years ago - I can't believe it!!!) then Lisa took me home around 11pm.
Thursday, April 18th:
Happy Birthday Dad!
Today was our school picnic. I got all dressed up this morning and then taxied to school around 8:30. The teachers organized the students onto buses and then we were off!
Some of my sixth grade boys:
Waiting to be directed to their bus:
Our picnic spot was beautiful and the weather was amazing.
Here is one of my sixth graders dancing in the sunshine:
My sixth grade girls:
One of my students who actually likes math!
My fifth grade student and her mother made a huge pot of boorek because she knows how much I like it!
With my sixth graders (my dress was a gift from the student in the bottom right corner):
With the curriculum coordinator:
Playing games:
And eating food:
My fifth grade boys (they can't even stand still for a picture!)... though they are difficult at times, these guys have a special place in my heart.
This student celebrated her New Year yesterday (she is from a minority religion here) and gave me an egg which they decorate to mark the occasion.
Picnics are all-day events filled with food and fun. I really enjoyed moving from group to group and visiting with them in a relaxed setting. A couple of them joked that I should give a math lesson and a few were upset that they forgot to bring their HW! :) I was able to have a really good conversation with one of my students ... she has had a hard life and sometimes feels that she shouldn't be alive right now. God has spared her life for a reason, and I am thankful she is one of my students!
"And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them."
We left around 1:30pm as it started to look like rain (the school was going to stay until 4pm, rain or shine.) I was thankful to go home as my voice was getting raspy and I was starting to cough more. I spent the rest of the afternoon resting and baking goodies for tomorrow's fellowship.