Sunday, April 7, 2013

April 5th and 6th: Elite Eight and Starbox Pizza

Friday, April 5th:
There was a thunderstorm last night, which left the air dusty and thick this morning. For fellowship, I took a turn teaching the children. It was good to be back with everyone again since we hadn't met during the Nawroz holiday.

After fellowship, I listened to a sermon, read, and visited with Hannah. In the evening we went over to Andy and Lisa's to watch one of the Elite Eight games - Louisville vs Duke (yes, that was the game where Ware broke his leg... ugghhh). We had all-American tailgate food and enjoyed hanging out in a way that is foreign to this culture (no dancing or picnicking involved, just eating snack foods around the TV to watch college basketball)  :)
Andy, firing up the grill

Brownies, chips and dip, sliders with cheese ... tastes like home!

Party time!

Saturday, April 6th:
Hannah and I were out until 1am watching basketball and playing geography trivia games ... it was tough getting up, but we were needed as judges for the final phase of CSM's Got Talent, Duhok. We narrowed down eight contestants (our own Elite Eight) to these final three acts (and one back-up):
Guitarist playing Western-style songs (back-up), soloist singing Adele, actors performing a skit they wrote themselves, singer/drummer singing traditional Kurdish songs.

It was a fun variety of performances and hard to narrow it down to just three. These finalists will go on to Erbil where they will compete against contestants from the other two schools to win the CSM's Got Talent Kurdistan title. :)

Hannah and I taxied from school to Andy and Lisa's for some R&R while they were at fellowship. I went on the roof to get some sun, then graded quizzes and checked email. When Andy and Lisa got back, Mary came over and we decided to watch a TV show. After that, we hung out, doing our own thing (I finished grading) until dinnertime ... it was fun to look around and see everyone together without doing anything "organized" - just being us and doing our thing - a lot like family.

Blossoms in the Bishop's yard, reminding us that spring is here!

Zander loves this shirt ... I took a picture because I knew my mom would love it too!

Love this family <3

For dinner we went to Starbox Pizza

Lisa brought a pre-meal snack. Avocados are a rare find here!

Team dinner

After dinner we stopped for Magnum Infinity bars (Double Dark Chocolate) ... mmmmm! I Skyped with my family and got updates on the latest happenings at home, then entered my grades before heading for bed.