Fellowship was good this morning. We are starting a new study in 1 Peter and spent our time reading through all five chapters. As I learn about delighting in the Lord, my focus when reading Scripture has shifted. While the passages about trials and suffering are familiar, I've noticed that the verses following direct the reader to "being" before "doing" (I tend to jump right into "doing," trying to fix the problem and figure out the reason for the suffering). Peter reminds us to "rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory" and "rejoice, inasmuch as you are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, you may be glad also with exceeding joy." The phrase, "happy are you" also appears several times. Only when I am rejoicing in Christ and His work can I "do" those things that I ought, as I ought.
After I taxied home, I read for a little bit on the roof, then took a nap. Listened to a sermon and enjoyed a quiet day of rest. In the evening, we went over to Andy and Lisa's for some team down-time. Andy had just gotten back from an important meeting about their future here with basketball ... it was a long, hard meeting, but ended well. We got the run-down and were encouraged to see God giving us favor with the people here. As we enjoyed one another's company, we savored expensive chocolates (a gift from one of Andy's basketball players) and decaf coffee, then later Skittles, cheese curls (closest thing we have to Cheetos), and Starbursts.
Saturday, April 20th:
This morning I went to the soccer clinic for CSM students (the same one I went to last spring). Each session, we focus on a specific soccer skill and relate it with a life lesson. Last Saturday's focus was passing or serving others. Throughout the week the players are supposed to practice the soccer skill and apply the life lesson in some way.
With my fifth graders:
Sixth through eighth getting instructions on ball control (life lesson: self-control)
We began with several drills, then played a match for the last half hour. It felt good to run and get some cardio in!
After the clinic, I went to Andy and Lisa's for some time on the roof. It was a beautiful, sunny day with a slight breeze and pleasant enough to walk home afterwards. I read, took a nap, finished grading, and then caught up on a few emails. Mom was online, so we got to chat on Facebook for awhile too! Definitely feeling sore ... hopefully that means I'll sleep well!