Monday, May 20, 2013

May 17th and 18th: Packing and a Wedding Ceremony

Friday, May 17th:
Today was a fairly quiet day. Hannah made Orange Thyme Pancakes for breakfast, and we enjoyed a long conversation over coffee and yummy food. Afterwards we inventoried the house, deciding which items will travel down to Erbil with Hannah in the fall and which will stay here for the new family coming to Duhok. I spent the rest of the afternoon packing and then Hannah and I watched Schindler's List. I'd never seen it before. We picked it wanting a movie that we could cry over, but instead of crying I almost got sick ... we even had to pause at one point so I could breathe. The ending was a good reminder that when we finish our time on earth, we will know that things were left undone. But unlike Schindler, where the thought left him hopeless, our confidence is not in the works of our hands. Rather, we hope in the work Christ has accomplished for us. "He that glories, let him glory in the Lord."

Saturday, May 18th:
This morning Hannah and I had an Internet party at Andy and Lisa's. I responded to emails and worked on travel plans for this summer. A couple more details to iron out and then my three weeks of travel will be complete. On our way home, Hannah and I stopped at Holland Bazaar to pick up some groceries. I also went out later to Mazi since we couldn't find everything at Holland. (While at Mazi, I bought two Magnum Infinity bars for a special afternoon treat.)

For dinner, Hannah made curry with potatoes ... so, so good! We ate early so I could get ready to go to my friend's wedding ceremony. We arrived at a quarter to seven ... again, some of the first ones there. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the ceremony wasn't terribly long and we were able to take pictures with the bride and groom afterwards. We left around 8:30pm and dropped off another teacher who had joined us. I was thankful for a new experience and glad I could be there for my friend.

The aisle:

Three teachers:

The bride and groom walking down the aisle (they stopped and let us take pics - it was great!)

The ceremony (it was a small gathering, only relatives, so I was even more thankful to be invited!)

In the receiving line ... the two little girls wanted to give the bride a hug, but they were having a hard time getting close enough. It was cute to watch them stick together and keep trying!

With the bride and groom:

With N's mom (she is such a sweet lady and even though we can't talk much, we fill in the gaps with hugs and smiles):

With the bride (I'm going to miss her!)