Sunday, May 19th:
Today was the first review day. I gave the students a two-page worksheet before the weekend; today, we worked through page one. I was pretty strict with the kids, since these last days can tend to be unproductive if the students think they can get out of doing any work with their antics. If they weren't paying attention, I sent them outside after their first warning. It was hard work to stay on top of behavior, but I was able to get all of my classes through the first page. When I got home, I was exhausted. I'm not sure if it was the late nights over the weekend or being sick last week or so much classroom management or a combination of all three, but I could hardly walk home. I took a long nap, then went to bed early after my Skype call.
Monday, May 20th:
A lot of ups and downs today, but when it was all said and done, a good day. I finished page 2 in all of my classes. In 5A, two of the girls weren't in class when I arrived (they were complaining to the principal), and a third stormed out of the room when one of the boys bounced his soccer ball on the desk and it hit her on the face accidentally. I still can't put it into words, but I was really affected by her attitude. I pitied her that her immediate reaction was a desire for revenge, but I also felt powerless, unable to show her that exacting "justice" wasn't the solution (and hadn't we just gone over verse after verse, reminding us to "love others as ourself" and "love covers sin"?) After the boys were called to the principal office in their turn (and one returned in tears), I stopped our review to encourage them to stand up against those who would manipulate and threaten in order to gain. So often I have seen that class bend and sway to those girls' whims just because they are afraid of their "power." I reminded them that a football team is stronger when it works together than when one player is allowed to take over. I hope they know I'm on their team ... otherwise I am afraid they will have a hard existence in Prissy's domain.
During my next class (6B) I found out there is no school tomorrow. I was heavily disappointed ... we were going to have a party where I would give out awards and prizes for goals met (and I was going to tell them that I won't be returning next year). The class was disappointed too (at least about missing the party) and we decided to have a party at Texas Chicken on the day finals ended. (They had actually already planned to meet there for their own class celebration. Even though they didn't want any teachers, they still invited me to join them!)
After school, I felt heavy-hearted. I was only able to feel a little bit better when John presented our topic for team time. We looked at the verse, "This is the Lord's doing and it is marvelous in our eyes." We took turns sharing what we have seen God do this year and marveled together at His wondrous works. I will try to share a few of them in my next update. It was a good reminder not to despair during these last few weeks left (which is easy to do as I try to make each moment count), but instead look at what God is doing and rejoice in the works of His hands. After team time, we went to Big Chef for dinner. The food was better than last time (and they've lowered their prices!) I had a really flavorful salad with steak strips on top ... not a treat we often have here!
On the way home in "Magnum" (the Bishop's white van), we spontaneously burst into song ... Disney theme songs that is. :) I can't think of another group of adults that can move seamlessly from "Snow White" to "Aladdin" to "Sleeping Beauty" ... definitely not something I get to enjoy with all of my friends! It was one of those memories I'll cherish, reminding me how much I'm going to miss this team!