Friday, January 13, 2012

January 11th and 12th (Days 5-6): Paperwork ... Kurdish style

Up the stairs to school

Classical School of the Medes - Into the morning sun
I work in the classrooms on the far left on the top floor, which are the 3rd/4th grade classrooms.

January 11th:
Went to the 8:30am class and taught on my own. I am giving all my classes the assignment to draw a self-portrait and include some of their favorite things. It is interesting to see the wide variety. At 9am, Stacy took over and I went with another team member and a school representative to the Residency Office. Upon arrival, we were told that they couldn't issue our IDs that day and we would need to come back the next. Of course, this was all in Kurdish, so we blindly followed our guide, not sure why we were leaving, only understanding that the paperwork couldn't be completed at that time. We made it back to the school in time for me to teach the 11am class (the first class I met on Sunday). One of the 3rd graders in the class is bigger than me and he is a bit of a challenge, but I am hoping to gain some rapport with him. During the time between classes, I took my break in the teacher room, hoping to get to know some of the native teachers. Dan, one of the other American teachers who is also a musician, played his guitar and we sang some hymns. It was a refreshing break (Selah - pause and look up).

[Throughout the day, and as it happens, at this very minute, the imam recites the prayer over the loudspeaker. During this time I am reminded to pray for my family, friends, coworkers and students.]

At the end of the break, Stacy came back to the school and introduced me to the other 1:45 class (a group of 3rd graders). There are some rowdy students in the class, but some endearing ones as well (sometimes a student falls into both categories!)

View on the way home


When we got home, Stacy had to go to Kurdish lessons, so I stayed at home and caught up on correspondence. At 6, Dan and Julie invited me out to dinner. We went to Vin Restaurant, which is owned by a man from Lebanon. He opened the restaurant to introduce the Kurdish people to burgers and french "frites". I had the Vin Burger which was very good; they were all out of "frites" though... We went next door for ice cream (chocolate tastes similar to home, perhaps a little gooey, but the strawberry is pretty extreme - it is hot pink and very sweet!) We had a nice time together and it was good to get to know my team members a little better.


Another view of the city as I walk home


January 12th:
Went to the school at 9am to meet our "guide" so we could go to the Residency Office. He wasn't there yet, so I visited with one of the school administrators and we conversed about spiritual things - I pray that this is an inroad to building a positive relationship with him (very important here). The guide finally showed up at 11am. "But let patience have her perfect work that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." The guide and I met Andy, Lisa, and their kids at the Residency Office. We got our pictures and thumbprints taken, which didn't take very long at all. Then we were directed to Room 2, where we waited as our guide took our paperwork from one place to the next... this dragged on for 2 hours. I got to know the other team members a little better as we waited and it was interesting to watch the other people who were also getting visas (no other Americans though). About 1pm we got our passports back, which had been stamped with a 2 month residency verification. I went back to the school and made it in time to teach my 1:45 class (an answer to prayer). I taught this class on my own and things went fairly well.

Stacy had Kurdish lessons again, so I stayed at home and did laundry. Had a relaxed afternoon/evening.

A "door" in the neighborhood 


View from the alley outside our apartment 

Just one note of encouragement... at some point during the day, the complications of money and finances crossed my mind. The thoughts were triggered by upcoming bills back in America combined with trying to figure out how to build a reasonable budget here. At the same moment it occurred to me, "My God has an unlimited supply of funds. From His bank I am free to draw a loan for any amount and it will be available immediately." A great peace filled my soul. I didn't think of it again until I checked my email later in the evening. The insurance company had finally finished processing the last of the invoices for a vandalism that occurred at my Texas rental back in August. They wrote to tell me that the check was in the mail. Because they have always given me a reason for not covering all of the invoices, I did not think they would send very much. However, the amount issued was far greater (almost 4x the amount) than I had expected! This is enough to cover the costs of preparing for this trip, the re-booking fee for the flight, and another amount owed on the rental properties. My God truly owns the cattle on a thousand hills!


At the top of the mountain behind our house