Sunday, January 22, 2012

January 21st and 22nd (Days 15-16): All the Stares

January 21st:
I forgot what it was like for the three days I was cooped up at home. Today I emerged to go to Mazi (the supermarket) and relived the shock of being stared at constantly. There are mostly men in the street (a few women shopping or keeping the till) but they are all free to stare as much and as long as they like. Just to clarify, they are not staring because they think I am a famous celebrity from America, but because I am a foreigner. And foreigners stick out around here like a sore thumb. It was an adjustment, but didn't phase me for too long. In America, I would simply look them back in the eye and smile, but here that would be considered forward, so I have to stare through them or look in another direction (to find someone else staring at me too.) Our team was talking about the awkward years in our lives and we were all discussing what made us uncomfortably different from everyone else at school - too tall, too short... We had to laugh because now we are in a place where everything about us makes us different. No use trying to "fit in"!
Stacy and I ate lunch at Mazi's cafeteria. They actually had TV screen menus with pictures of each item - pretty high tech! We had beef sandwiches (like a Philly with cucumbers and tomatoes, no cheese) and a big plate of fries on the side. We also had ice cream for dessert. Yum! Got some groceries at Mazi and walked home. Just the few short hours out were exhausting and I took a nap when we got home. I'm still recovering and fighting off the sniffles and a cough. Did some laundry, caught up on correspondence, and to my delight, had an unexpected Skype call from Dad. He was at work, so we talked some shop, then he called Mom and told her to log on. We talked until my bedtime. Eithen always wants his turn to talk. The last two times he has told Mom that he wants "in" - he wants to come into the computer where I am so he can be with me. So sweet!



January 22nd:
Back to class at 11am. Feeling much better, just a runny nose and trying to keep my body temperature at a normal level. The kids were great! My perspective changed significantly over the last few days and I think they could sense that. "Fred," the older student who is bigger than me, was a tremendous help. I think he trusts me and looks for my approval now. "Bobbie," the class clown, was much calmer. Another student caused some problems at the end of class - she had "bad attitude" written all over her face. After class I told her that she couldn't have a bad attitude when I told her to do something even if she didn't want to do it. I asked her if she understood what a bad attitude was and then I showed her on my face. She laughed and changed her attitude right away.

After lunch I set to work cutting up a whole chicken! We couldn't find just chicken breasts at Mazi, so in my usual fashion, I decided I could figure out how to work with the whole thing. I watched a ten minute clip on cutting up a chicken and dove in. It wasn't too bad for a first time. I ended up with two good size chicken breasts, some good looking legs and wings and "leftovers" that I'll use for a soup base. I have pictures for proof, but I don't want to gross anyone out.

In the afternoon, I went to Andy and Lisa's and discussed art curriculum with Lisa. She gave me some great suggestions and I left with a desire to inspire my kids and push them to their best work. Lisa sent me home with some dinner, which I heated up before the Skype call with my family. It is always encouraging to see their faces and both Stephen and Caleb make up lists of things they want to talk to me about during our time.

During the call, I was reminded of God's omniscience and the communion we have with one another through Him. A little while ago, I was wondering if I should email news about some particular event to Mom and Dad. The thought crossed my mind that God had already laid it on their hearts, so I would not need to worry about causing them concern or dismaying them with the information, but that it would be a relief for them to understand the issue. I wrote them an email with the news and told them that I suspected God had already put it on their hearts to be in prayer. This evening, Mom told me that she had been burdened with specific thoughts concerning me and that the information I gave made it more clear. It was a relief to know that God is everywhere and knows all things and that He moves His people to pray for one another without the use of any human medium. Even without internet, His people can enjoy communion through His Spirit.