January 23rd:
Had the 8:30 class this morning. The walk in the morning is frigid and I have to wear earmuffs and gloves to keep from freezing. We are working on a school-wide project for Valentine's Day, so it took up most of the class. I had them draw me a picture of what they would be when they grew up if they could choose anything. I had some interesting responses, but many of them wanted to be engineers (contractors), doctors, and car drivers.
Went home afterwards and took a quick nap. It was nice to get some extra rest. Stacy was out, so I made lunch for myself - spaghetti with tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic (yum!) and cheese. I also decided to make some date bread later, so I used the time to do some prep. 15 minutes and 5 very sticky fingers later, I had my cup of chopped dates ready for the recipe. Felt a little discouraged/apprehensive as I headed out for the afternoon class (my rowdy bunch).
The entire class was out in the garden when I arrived (sometimes this happens when the teacher before me doesn't show or if they are released early). Some of the students headed for class when they saw me arrive and I got to walk with them and get to know them a little better. The others dawdled to see how long they could wait. I closed the classroom door at 1:45 and had the students start on the lesson; as the others trickled in, I put their names on the board (for bad behavior). Class went amazingly well. Even though we had the V-Day project (which means more freedom to move around and usually worse behavior) the students were attentive to the assignment ("if you could be anything what would it be?") and cooperated during the project. My worst student in the class, "Pedro," was my best student of the day! As we cleaned up to leave, "Pedro," "Evie," and "Alex" stayed late to help. Each one carried something for me to the teacher room and "Evie" kept telling me, "I love you, Miss. I love you." I just floated along with them, soaking up the affection! As I walked home, a little stunned, I couldn't stop thanking the Lord for His goodness.
Once home, it was time to work on the meal for our team meeting. (I also baked the bread, which turned out alright. Because I have no temperature reading on the oven, it is a wild guess - the bread was extra crispy on the top and a little gooey in the middle, but still edible. I will figure out the oven eventually!) For the team meal, we cooked up the chicken from yesterday, sauteed some mushrooms and onions, and mixed it together to put over rice. We picked up fresh bread on the way and broiled it with some (not-so) garlic butter. Lisa made an amazing salad with pomegranate and 'feta' and candied walnuts - YUMMY! And Julie made no-bake chocolate, coconut cookies for dessert. I love collaborative meals!
We talked to Dave and Lisa, enjoyed fellowship and had a great Bible Study afterwards. We looked at Mark 7:14-23 (it is not what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out from the heart). We studied the passage by reading it aloud, repeating the major concepts by memory, and then answering the questions, "What does this say about God?" "Man?" and "How am I to apply this specifically for the week?" As I prayed over the application, I asked God to show me how the verses fit with what I have been learning over the past few days. He showed me that my focus is too often on my outward appearance (Is my classroom maintained? Am I controlled? Do I say and do the right things?) I want others to perceive a godly outer appearance as proof of inner Christianity. Consequently, when I feel shame, I try to cover myself through outward forms, but only Christ can provide the true covering. He has made me clean. I am no longer defiled because, and only because, I am found in Him. It is not through outward appearance that others will know I am undefiled, it is through what is seen coming from the inside. I think I saw this after class today when my three students hovered around longing for what they had seen coming from within. This week I pray that God will allow others to see who I am on the inside (that part I have guarded so long) that they might see Christ. Bold words? Yes. But only if I am not walking in the power of God.
January 24th:
The city electricity keeps turning off and it gets extremely cold in the house. I went to my 9:15 class, which went very well. When I got home, there was a funny smell coming from the breaker box. Apparently the transformer needs to be replaced. The rest of the complex has city electricity and it turns out we are the only ones without - glad Stacy realized this so we can get it fixed (or at least make a lot of phone calls to ask the landlord to send the repairman).
Went to the 1:45 rowdy bunch again. The group dynamics have shifted a little without "Pedro" and "Joel" to head up the trouble. ("Joel" was 'drifty' at the beginning, caused trouble behind my back, and wouldn't connect with me in any way. Now he is attentive, tries his best, and is showing artistic improvement.) The new ringleaders tried to flex their muscles and I sent two of them to the principal's office. This time, they refused to go! I wrote a note to the principal asking him to give the two students red cards and sent it down with "Alex." I expected the principal to send the two red cards back to class, but he sent a message telling the students to come to his office. Still they refused! I wasn't sure what to do next, but needed to continue providing instruction. After a few minutes the principal came to the classroom and collected the students! He might have forgotten or decided I didn't need him, but God was merciful. The class stabilized once they left and I was able to have good discussions with both when they came back.
The Vice Principal gave me a ride home (his daughter is in one of my classes). I was thankful for another opportunity to build relationships (and glad I didn't have to walk home after an exhausting day). Andy and Lisa came by later and Andy was able to fix the cold water on the shower (I tightened the hot water valve on the sink last week, in case you were wondering). It turned out I just wasn't strong enough to turn the handle. :P Andy also offered to buy some light bulbs and install them later (the kitchen doesn't have one and it is pretty dark on one side). Thankful for handy and helpful team members!
Rested at home ... still freezing ... but received a special blessing - a Skype call with Eithen and Mom! Mom set up the laptop so I could watch Eithen play in the sink, build Duplos, put on his pants by himself, and just be a part of his life for almost 45 minutes. Mom and I shared what we've been learning and talked, as only moms and daughters can, for another hour. A refreshing time, desperately needed. Went to bed with my jacket on. Even as I write this I am wearing gloves (which means it has taken twice as long) because it is so cold!