February 28th:
Had the best class discussion so far during my 9:15am class. We made a list of all kinds of "seeds" (or truths) that are being planted in their minds and then we talked about whether those truths were growing or if they were landing in unfruitful ground. Everyone in the class was engaged and their drawings showed understanding. We had one small fight at the end of the session. I sat down with each of the boys and tried to talk to them about controlling their anger and not being easily offended. It is amazing how quickly their anger escalates, stemming from an off-handed remark - a good visual of how our remarks will appear in the day of judgment ("every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.")
Went home and had coffee with Stacy and prepared for my afternoon class (the rowdy bunch). Andy graciously came in and took two of the most troublesome students out of the class. It was a good warning for the remaining students. I wrote their assignment on the board, then decided to try something different (per the suggestion of my brilliant mother!) I brought my iPad with me and read from the Pilgrim's Progress aloud as they drew. Two or three of the students tried to be a disruption (they stayed late to copy sentences) but quieted when I reminded them that they might be taken out of the class next session. Even though I had to "abridge" the story as I went, the majority of the students were hanging on to every word I said.
Spent the afternoon baking lemon cookies to take to the teachers tomorrow. Also made some refried beans so I could have tostadas with beans, chicken, "sour cream" (we just use yogurt here) and a zesty, leafy topping for dinner. Visited with John and Mary for a little while, then came home and tried to download an abridged version of Pilgrim's Progress onto my iPad. The internet was too slow, so I will have to try later.
February 29th:
My 8:30am class went really well. "Prissy" has settled down and we are on speaking terms again. The class seems to be thriving now that "Prissy" is no longer in charge. We had a simple assignment - "Draw your favorite part of nature." Some of the students were very creative, drawing geysers and pyramids. I am still fine-tuning procedures and recently added a list of three quiet tasks that students may choose from when they complete their artwork. Because students work at different paces, it can be hard to maintain a productive atmosphere when half the class is finished. With quiet time, I gain almost 20 minutes of uninterrupted time during which I can give guidance to the students still working on their art.
The following class was a little talkative. I've noticed that the boys will often split into several cliques of two or three. The cliques change frequently, however, based on the squabble of the day. I am praying for an opportunity to address this. I'm not exactly sure what the lesson or application will be, but see that this is a developing habit and something that should be challenged in light of loving one another.
During the break, I ate a sandwich from the cafeteria, graded three sessions of art books and visited with the teachers. (All the teachers who tried some liked the lemon cookies!)
My 11am class was really difficult (I pray quite a bit before going into that class). One of the administrators had to come talk to a student who wouldn't stand outside after she had hit another student. On a positive note, the two most difficult girls were surprisingly quiet and worked diligently in the art books. I went straight from their class to sub for Julie's fifth grade literature class (the same students that I had observed earlier.)
When I arrived, M was the only one in class (the rest were in the garden). He was very polite, told me he enjoyed art and we had a nice time talking. As the rest of the students came in from the garden, I asked them their names, hoping I would be able to remember a few of them. After a group of boys came in, Mark motioned for me to follow him outside, then told me that one boy gave me the wrong name. Later in the class, "Ahmad" was talking and when I said, "____, you need to be quiet and listen" (using his real name), he was stunned! I glanced at M and we exchanged smiles.
During my second break, the curriculum coordinator asked me if I would be willing to switch subjects. It looks like the Humanities teacher is going to leave, so they would like me to take his 3rd grade classes. They are interviewing another teacher tomorrow to see if she can take over my art classes. A little disruption in my day - this will be a sudden change, going into effect on Sunday and I am struggling through the emotions of losing my fourth graders, relinquishing the ideas that I had planned for introducing Spiritual lessons into their assignments, while bracing myself for the reality that I must be prepared to teach Humanities in a few days. Praying that God will be glorified and strengthen me as I feel even more my inadequacy for the task.
My afternoon class was good. It took them awhile to settle down, but I went up to each student individually and reminded them that they were in class to learn. They responded well and within a few minutes all the students were silently working on their projects. Many times I have found myself especially grateful for this class - they are genuinely affectionate, wish to please, and three of the boys have made significant improvements in the quality of their work and their attentiveness in class (one of the girls has remarked a few times, "whew, that was the quietest they have ever been in class.")
As I left school, the city was covered with a thick fog - the mountains on the other side of the valley were not even visible. The walk home was wrapped in a peaceful stillness. It was the right kind of weather to make one ponder without being dismal. I was glad for some time to think about the possible changes ahead. Stacy was out when I got home, so I had my afternoon snack and sat quietly in the house - a relief from all the noise at school (Miss! Miss! Say to him! Misssss, what we draw?)
Went to John and Mary's for dinner and a movie. Can't say how much I enjoy being with them - thankful for their convenient proximity. Afterwards, I Skyped with Mom. Eithen had been waiting ten minutes to talk to me. He says a lot more now. I am really surprised by how long he stays on the computer, throwing me kisses, and telling me things. Enjoyed Mom's encouragement and insight.