Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 26th and 27th (Days 49-50): After the Storm

February 26th:
This morning I was still being attacked by the enemy. I felt broken-hearted, but had no tangible reason. Kept reading Scripture to find relief. As I walked to school, I repeated to myself, "My flesh and my heart faileth, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Had a good time of prayer as I waited for my class to start, really saw a huge lack in myself and went in to teach relying on His strength. The majority of the class was attentive. A few were not interested in doing any art, so I had them copy sentences and focused on the others.

The enemy's assaults were everywhere - in the classroom, on the way home from school, in my thoughts, at home, and in my inbox. I kept God's Word close to my heart and found comfort there. Visited with John and Mary in the afternoon and the Lord restrained the enemy, giving me a time of refreshment. We ate dinner together (takeout from a pizza place we've never tried before. It was good and conveniently located right around the corner). More encouragement as I Skyped with my family in the evening. Still found myself assailed as I went to bed and prayed for some relief through the night.

February 27th:
Woke up feeling a heavy burden lifted from off me - God answers prayer! Had a good 8:30am class - they were all very attentive and participatory. Had some really good drawings. Walked home, then went to the market with Stacy. Relieved to have a clear mind for the first time in almost a week.

Came home, ate lunch and prepared for the afternoon class. Several of the students were really rowdy and wouldn't quiet down after repeated warnings. I took three of them to the principal's office, but one would not come down with me. The principal went up to get him and then spoke to the four of them. I returned to class and we started working on the assignment. Many of the students were in their usual "working" positions - standing over their desks, sitting with someone else to share colored pencils - when the principal brought the boys back up. He was very upset and proceeded to chew out the entire class. He made them straighten up and wouldn't listen to any of their protests. The class became gravely still. When he left, I maintained the strict silence he had instituted, even though I usually allow for a little livelier environment since it is art and the last class of the day. I told the class that I knew they were not having any fun, but they had imposed it on themselves since their behavior prohibited me from teaching. At the end of class, I dismissed the students who were sitting quietly and ended up waiting almost a half hour for some of the students to decide that they were ready to comply. One student told me that art was pointless. I told him that it was required though, and that if he wanted to be in class he would have to pay attention. He shot back, "well then I don't want to be in class." I told him I would see if it could be arranged for the next day. [At team night, I asked Andy if he would be willing to sit with this student and he agreed, so we'll see how it goes!]

Had a good team meeting. Went to dinner beforehand with John and Mary at the "sheep restaurant" - so named because of the grazing sheep on their sign. Had "meat" kabobs (if it's not chicken, it's meat) that were really yummy - I haven't had meat in quite awhile! We had a dessert potluck - I made pudding pie (using the pb cookie crumbs as the crust!), Julie made toffee cookies, and Lisa made a dessert pie with cinnamon and sugar.

Went home, but couldn't fall asleep. Read some Dickens late into the night.