February 20th:
Praising the Lord - my 8:30am class went REALLY well! Before class began, "Prissy" made a comment that could have been taken as rude, so I asked her if we were going to have any problems for the day. She said she would be good and the rest of class went smoothly. All the students got right to work on the assignment, kept working diligently, and turned in their best work so far. I was concerned because they finished with quite a bit of time to spare (none of the other classes were able to even complete the project). I was searching my mind for something else I could have them work on, when I realized I should reward them for doing what they were supposed to! [I think this was a kind reminder from the Holy Spirit.] We had quiet free time for the rest of class and I think it was appreciated. (I always loved when teachers would do that in middle school and high school!)
As I was grading art books in the teacher room, the administrator asked me to substitute for a sixth grade class. Thankfully, this was the same class I had observed when Lisa was working on an art project with them, so they weren't unfamiliar with me and knew I taught art. We worked on a project that I had left over from my classes. Classroom maintenance was a little difficult as I didn't know their names and most of the boys are bigger than me, but we made it through.
Walked to the market afterwards and met up with Stacy. We found a gift for one of her friends' children (who was born on the same day as Stacy) and walked through the market to pass the time until lunch. Around 11 we walked to a Turkish restaurant to eat, then to a Turkish bakery for Stacy's favorite cookies.
Home for a little rest before heading to the 1:45 rowdy class. Thankfully they were better than usual - not terrific, but behaved well enough that I let them go to the garden for the last 15 minutes of class. (I hope I don't end up regretting it...)
Walked to Holland Bazaar to pick up Stacy's birthday present and then to the second-hand shop nearby (this is the one with dishes, electronics, glasses, etc.) to find Stacy a "new" mug (hers broke). On the way home, stopped to get groceries and ended up with a heavy load to carry home - at least I got my weight training in! By the time I arrived home, Stacy had left, so I was free to start on her birthday dinner - bean burritos. I'd already cooked up refried beans the other night and set to work on homemade tortillas. It was quite a process, but nice to know how to do it - I'm thinking some nice, hot tortillas with butter and sugar are on the agenda in the near future. Carted everything over to Mary's (who was gracious enough to host so we could allay any suspicions). Then waited for Stacy to get home. I thought I was pretty smooth - didn't get antsy or pushy about leaving... when we "SURPRISED" her though, she said she already guessed. Oh well, at least the food was good. I had brought some Taco Bell packets with me from the States and added them to the beans, so they would have an "authentic" flavor :) Lisa brought chips (made from Lebanese bread) and salsa and Julie brought drinks and Mexican rice. Yummy! Mary made cheesecake brownies for dessert and we decorated it with candles. I was exhausted, but enjoyed just being with everyone.
February 21st:
Even though there is still snow on the mountains around us, the sun was shining brightly this morning. For the first time since I've been here, I didn't have to wear my winter jacket to school. The 9:15 class went well - some of the boys hurry to finish their assignment, so I am constantly handing back their art books and telling them, "Add more detail" or "Redo this and make it neat" or "Now you need to color it." Sometimes I sound like a broken recorder and what's worse, the kids must think so too since I will occasionally overhear them mimicking me with the same intonations! Oh dear!
After class, I needed some time to unwind and walked through the second-hand clothing section of the market. I like to take my time, so it was good to go alone. "Early" in the morning (about 10:30am) is also the best time to shop since there are hardly any shoppers and you have all the space you need to look through the massive piles. The only downside is having the shop keepers watch you the entire time. Some are polite though and stand outside so I don't feel so pressured to hurry. One of the vendors wanted me to learn the Kurdish names of the clothes - "chacket" and "bloos" were easy to remember; unfortunately the other fifteen he tried to teach me didn't really stick. :) In the end, he cut me a great deal on a gray pea coat, which will be nice as the weather gets a little warmer.
Went home and ate a leftover burrito for lunch, did a load of laundry and prepped for the afternoon class. The kids weren't as good as yesterday; in fact, one of the other teachers came in and yelled at them because she could hear them in the room next door. The students told me afterwards that I needed to be more like that teacher - shout and be mean to them and then they would listen. "Be strong, Miss" they told me. (Apparently a broken tape recorder isn't too impressive.) Once again, I was reminded how weak I am in myself and how much I need the Lord's help. The students settled down long enough to work on the assignment, but the last ten minutes of class were agony. I had to release the students one at a time (with the usual, "how will you be better next time" question), and even then two of the boys wrestled with each other until they were the last ones in the room.
Walked home, enjoying the sunshine, but feeling a little low. I am really congested and my face actually hurts a little (and yes, Dad, I am taking Vitamin C, forcing fluids and using nasal spray.) :)
Decided I would make some peanut butter cookies. (I am looking for a way to connect with the teachers at school a little better. I think substitute teaching helps - since we don't work a full schedule like the local teachers, it can create a rift between the "Americans" and the "locals" - I also know they liked my peanut butter dessert the other day. Besides subbing, I am going to try bringing in teacher treats once a week - something new for them to try and possibly a good conversation starter.) Anyway, for the cookies I had to use some substitutions, so when I pulled them out of the oven I was really heartbroken - they were peanut butter crumbles. They had no likeness to a cookie (other than their shape before touching them with a spatula) and tasted like really sweet, slightly burned, crumbly peanut butter pieces. [I'm not sure what to do with them ... I tried mixing them with yogurt but they have that baking powder texture ... if anyone has any ideas, please send them my way! I may buy some ice cream and try them as a topping next.] After my failure in the kitchen, I reminded myself that "when the horse bucks you off, you've got to get right back on," so I decided to use the old, tried-and-true date bread recipe. Grandma sent me her mom's recipe, so I made two loaves - the one I've made here twice and Great Grandma's version. Everything was going along splendidly, when halfway through the baking time, I started to hear a loud hissing noise. The next thing I knew, I was smelling gas! Ugghhh... I'd been told, "You know you're living in Iraq when you run out of gas in the middle of cooking" so the thought flashed across my mind, "I've been initiated!" A short-lived triumph, I ran across the hall... John graciously came over to take a look. The release is probably broken, so we are without gas until I can get the replacement part. Mary let me use her oven to finish my loaves. Thankfully, they came out beautifully! I am expectant, waiting to see how God will bless this gift to the teachers as the enemy was clearing trying to hinder me in the endeavor!
Ate a salad and some yogurt (no stove to warm things up), then caught up on correspondence.