March 20th:
Stacy and I went to the market this morning. Stacy bought some "bling" to go with her Jilli Kurdi. Since all the women wear lots of fake gold with their dresses and tomorrow is Newroz (the official start of picnic season) the stores were packed with women trying to buy their last-minute accessories. Stacy found a great pair of jeweled sandals to go with her dress and I bought some more elastic. When we got home, I had some curry for lunch and then finished putting the elastic in my dress.
Around 2 pm I walked to Andy and Lisa's for a short visit. Andy had picked up our passports from the school rep, so we have our official residency cards, good for another 2 months. Unfortunately they didn't grant us 6 month visas (the system has changed), but we were thankful to have them renewed. Andy did some physical therapy on my neck (he is a PT in the States), which really helped a lot with my headache! He gave me some good stretches to do at home since my neck is so tight. Stopped by Dan and Julie's and helped Julie put the elastic in her Jilli Kurdi. Now all we need to do is go on a picnic!
Walked home and stopped by John and Mary's to see if they had dinner plans. Stacy and I ended up getting some sandwiches to-go that we combined with leftovers for an "as you like" meal. ("As you like" is a popular phrase here. "Where do you want to go?" "As you like." "Which would you prefer?" "As you like." It can be overused and rather tiresome, but I find myself using it with my students: "Miss, what color should we use?" "... As you like.")
March 21st:
No headache today (the first day in almost two weeks)! The stretches combined with exercise the last few days have really helped.
I spent some time reading and praying this morning. Find myself a little at loose ends without school ... I think helping others, especially through teaching, is the thing that refreshes me most outside of my time with the Lord. I always dreamed of being someone like Clara Barton but never had a strong desire to pursue nursing or medicine. After our time in Suly, I realized that helping others in their grief is much the same as nursing soldiers on the battlefield. It isn't always glamorous and I may not always do it well, but the need overshadows any of my shortcomings. I feel the same about teaching. I know that my students need someone to teach them, to encourage them, to listen to them. Even though it can be a tough job, I find myself wanting to be back in the classroom more than anything. God knows that I need this break and I am trying to submit to give my body the rest that it needs so that I'll be ready when Sunday finally rolls around.
For lunch I baked zucchini and mushrooms with a Parmesan-like cheese over the top. Yummy! Afterwards, Stacy and I visited the neighbors and found out that the little boy with leukemia is coming back next week. We pray that he is recovering fully. Even though I still don't know very much Kurdish, I was reminded of my first night here when we visited the same neighbors. I was overwhelmed from all the traveling and remember just sitting and listening to the sounds, wondering if I'd ever understand what they were saying. I could comprehend more this time around and was even able to ask the littlest boy (about 4 years old) what a balloon was called. We had fun hitting it back and forth and smiling at each other.
Around 4 pm, John, Mary, Stacy and I went to a picnic (American style) at Dan and Julie's. (Andy and Lisa were at a Kurdish picnic with their neighbors). We got dressed in our Jilli Kurdis and took pictures. (I forgot my camera, so Dan is going to email me the pictures and then I'll post them.) We made a fire on the roof and roasted "hot dogs" (chicken hot dogs, which were a bright pink color). Ate them on Kurdish bread with potato salad and carrot sticks. For dessert we had Mini Magnums (they come in a variety pack) and sang songs together as the sun set. Walked home, showered, then Skyped with Mom and the boys. Eithen is talking a lot now. I think his favorite part of the Skype call is when I kiss my webcam and he kisses "me" back.
Thankful that God has taught me so many things in the last two and a half months. I increasingly feel my need to grow in Him. He remains faithful. As worries have arisen, especially in the last three weeks, God has sustained us, enlarging our steps so that our feet do not slip. By His goodness, He has removed all obstacles and given us extra assurance regarding our residency and work here.