Monday, March 19, 2012

March 18th and 19th (Days 70-71): We're Moving Up in the World... Duhok Now Has Celery!

March 18th:
Slept in until 9am. Didn't feel as sore when I woke up, which was an answer to prayer. Stacy and I went to the Cultural Center so she could register for another Kurdish class. Snow was still on the mountains, but the sun was shining, so it was a nice day to be outside. We walked down past the market to a parking lot that acts as a bus stop. We had to wait until our bus filled up, then we were off! Two Kurdish women behind us were empathizing over the difficulties of going to the village for Nawroz when it wasn't appealing to their children - they spoke in Kurdish, but Stacy translated the gist of their conversation. It was fun to "eavesdrop" on the lives of everyday women here. We drove for about 15 minutes to the other side of the city. The bus let us off at the bottom of a hill and we walked to the Cultural Center on the top. From there, we had an amazing view of Duhok. The houses are brightly colored - pinks, greens, blues, and reds. It was a crystal clear day, the air was fresh from the snow, and everything about the city was vibrant. After she registered for the class, we walked back down the hill and caught a taxi to Mazi. Stacy went home while I picked up a few groceries.

When I got back home, I did some laundry, vacuumed, and prepped two graham cracker crusts for tomorrow night's team dinner. The sun was energizing and I felt like cooking. I walked down to the stand on the corner and bought some vegetables, then came home and tried out a new yellow curry recipe to eat sometime this week. At 4, I skyped with my family and Mom took "me" into each room so I could wake up the boys. :) Eithen did a puzzle with me and Mom updated me on life back home.

For dinner, Mary invited me over for black bean, pumpkin chili. It was yummy! Dan and Julie came over too and we had a fun time joking around. (Dan likes to give me a hard time and I dish it right back). Mary also made pumpkin spice muffins, which we enjoyed for dessert.

I didn't realize how much I had packed into one day until I sat down... felt really tired and happy to go to bed.

March 19th:
Spent some time reading God's Word and praying when I woke up this morning - much needed as I have felt dry and listless in spiritual things. A dream that I had last night was bothering me, but as I thought on it and prayed over it, I became convicted that it was an attack from the enemy to discomfit and distract me. God helped me overcome and I found joy as the day went by.

Julie and I went to the market around 1 so she could buy some sports clothes for the soccer clinic. Afterwards, we got a juice then stopped at the vegetable den (where they now have celery!) By the time we finished, the smoke, bright sunlight and over-stimulation worsened my dull headache (that has been lingering for over a week) to a semi-migraine. When I got home, I took some pain reliever, which helped, then had to get right to work, making dessert for tonight's team dinner.

Stacy's English lesson was cancelled, so we talked in the kitchen for a little while as the pies were finishing up. Around 5:30, we met up with John and Mary and walked to our team meeting together (stopping for vanilla ice cream on the way). Lisa made shredded barbecue chicken sandwiches with apple slaw! Julie and Mary whipped up the sides - potato salad (with celery) and yummy pesto pasta salad.  I made an apple pie with graham cracker crust for dessert, which we enjoyed after our Skype call with Dave. Julie had picked up our Kurdish dresses from the dressmaker, so we oohed and awed over them. (We had them fitted right before we left for Suly.) When we got home, Mary and I had a little "party" and put the elastic in the dress and pants, then modeled them for pictures (coming soon).