Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 24th and 25th (Days 76-77): Last Day of Break and First Day Back to School

Yes... the picture you've all been waiting for!

Here we are in our Kurdish attire (you might see the men wearing these outfits around town and at the market, but the women don't really wear their Jilli Kurdis except for special occasions, like Kurdish picnics!)



March 24th:
I had a great time at the soccer clinic this morning! Picked up Lisa and Julie in a taxi. Even though we were right on time, we ended up chatting with students while we waited for the attendant to unlock the gate to the soccer field (everyone here runs on Kurdish time, which is usually late). My allergies were still bothering me, so I felt a little lethargic starting out. I stayed for both girls' sessions and helped coach the goalies. For the last twenty minutes of each session, the girls scrimmage against each other. Since there aren't many players, the coaches end up scrimmaging too. The older girls' group was a lot of fun and I am starting to connect with some of the players. I stayed to watch the fourth grade boys' session and take pictures of my students. During the scrimmage they needed an extra player, so I jumped in and played with them. I think the boys thought it was pretty neat to have their teacher play with them. Of course it helped that I scored a goal!


Stopped for a sandwich on the ride back and picked up some vegetables at the corner stand. After I ate, showered, did some laundry and baking, I visited with Mary over a cup of tea. Henry is now rolling over, and Mary has two recipes for bread that are both amazing! Went back home and prepped for school. I also switched over the clothes in my closet and put away all my sweaters ... in the hope I won't need them for the next few months. Ate a light dinner, then went to bed early (at least earlier than I have been). Thankful that I am not as sore after soccer as each week passes.

March 25th:
Uncertain what today's class would bring. Prayed for much wisdom and patience as I walked to school. It was a beautiful morning and nice not to wear a jacket. As soon as I walked up the steps to school, I realized just how much I'd missed it.
View from the school

The school

Kids playing on the new Mini-Tennis court

It was good to see the teachers again. Everyone was really friendly - makes me hopeful that I will build some profitable relationships during the next few months. My 11am class was starting to be a challenge right before I left for the break, but thankfully they were attentive today. They even remembered the principles we were focusing on three weeks ago! It really made my day when one of the girls (who happens to have the worst sulky face I've ever seen) followed directions without even being reminded!

After class, I headed right out and caught a taxi to Zeri Park to visit H from the International Fellowship. The taxi driver didn't know where to go, but he "phoned a friend" and got directions. :) I am going to help tutor H's five-year old son - English is their second language, so it has been difficult for him to enroll in an English-speaking school here. His dad works with him in the morning before work, but H would like him to have more practice. [I talked to the curriculum coordinator at CSM, and they don't need me to teach 3rd grade Humanities anymore. I was asking the Lord why, when H expressed their need for English help. Thankful to be able to use my time in this way.]

H and I ate lunch together (I had real kimchee for the first time in ... 3 months?), then J (the little boy) and I wrote a story using simple three-letter words. He was so happy to be able to read it to his mom before I left. 

I caught a taxi home and even though the driver didn't know the sweet shop that we usually use as a reference point, I was able to direct him to my neighborhood using Kurdish directions. It was encouraging to realize I can get by much better than when I first arrived - still a long way to go, though. After I got home, Stacy and I walked down to the market. She caught the bus to go to her English lessons, and I headed off to the second-hand part of the market. It seems like just yesterday we were there to buy sweaters and winter apparel, now I am in need of a few summery clothes. It took a lot of digging, but I found a long, cotton skirt and two blouses (both appropriately long, but light enough for the warm weather).

On the way home, I stopped at the vegetable den and picked up salad fixings for tomorrow night's team dinner. At one stand, I was perusing their leafy greens and picked up a bunch; at the same time I heard a voice at my elbow say, "Spinach." The voice belonged to the customer standing next to me - I think that was about the extent of his leafy greens vocabulary since he didn't know what parsley was. It was an interesting part of the everyday experience here - one minute the taxi driver doesn't know where to go (seems rather crucial, doesn't it?) and the next someone is helping you identify spinach (not so crucial...).

As I walked home, my thoughts were focused on my reliance upon God and how my pride strives so hard to be independent. I found myself thanking God for how far He has brought me since this time one year ago, when I first began preparing to go "where ever He might lead."

Once I got home, I threw a load of laundry in the washer, then got busy in the kitchen. Since the spinach doesn't come pre-washed in a sealed baggie, I spent 20 minutes cutting off all the stems and hand-washing it. (All that training as a flower cleaner certainly paid off!) Thankfully I have a lovely salad spinner (one of those one-of-a-kind finds at the market), so that cuts down on some of the time at the end. Completed the same process for the parsley.


As I was hanging up my laundry, I heard my Skype "ringing" and sat down to talk with Mom, Dad, Stephen and Jaden. The internet has been acting up a little bit lately, so our call was interrupted several times as Skype tried to "find our connection." Still enjoyed hearing their voices and getting all the news from home.

After our call, I made a fruit smoothie (with frozen banana, apple, nectarine juice and a little bit of yogurt.) Yummy! Then off to bed...