Had a good conversation last night at the dinner with administration. I was able to talk to the curriculum coordinator about my adoption. Here it is very shameful to be adopted and everyone wants to say how sorry they are for you, but I was able to say how very grateful I am to be adopted. The curriculum coordinator thought about it for awhile and started to realize how amazing it was that my parents would love me and take me as their own when there are those who do not even care for their own flesh and blood.
May 19th:
Woke up feeling discouraged, still plagued by the "mosquitoes" of distraction and doubt. Talked to Pastor John and got a good book recommendation. Then I listened to part two of the shame lecture (again). Once more, it pulled all of the wandering ideas going through my mind into one concise thought. I saw that my bad attitude came from the shame of not living up to the expectations that I've placed on myself when I'm around my team and the fear of anticipated shame next year. The fear for next year has been rooted in finding my acceptance from those around me. After confessing this false standard that I've placed myself under and asking forgiveness for not seeking acceptance from God, my heart was emptied of all contempt and discouragement. In its place, thanksgiving and praise overflowed!
Went to the market with Lisa and Julie. I was really encouraged because we were able to find Lisa some great summer tops (which is not always easy since she has been blessed with above-average height - it does make it easier to pull down the clothes hanging way up high and helps us locate her, but she can't always find long shirts to wear here). Anyway, we were eight for eight!
I came back to the apartment and visited with Mary for awhile. We talked, played with Henry, played Bananagrams, and watched another part of "Our Mutual Friend." Around 4:30pm we went to an early dinner at Tantuni. The owner is very friendly and remembers his friend, Barzon (the name he has given Henry) every time. This time he actually gave us a juice for Henry! They like to start them young. :P Since we were near the market, we went to one of the shops and got a watch for Mary. Another shopping success in the same day!
We taxied from the market to Andy and Lisa's for team game night. What happens at team game night, stays at team game night. :P We were as goofy as ever. Of course playing Apples to Apples can bring out the best in all of us! We made S'Mores over the gas stove (we were going to have a fire on the roof, but it was raining.)
May 20th:
A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance. I know I was much more cheerful going to school today. God had filled my heart with thankfulness yesterday and it continued to spill over, especially as I contemplated the magnitude of His love in my devotions.
My 9:15 class went fairly well until the very end. We played review tic-tac-toe. There were two teams. If the person I called on answered the review question correctly they could place an X or O on the board for their team. The kids had a lot of fun ... trying to use their best strategies to win the game. Two of the boys (from opposite teams) got into a fight at the end, but overall the class was well-behaved and I had a fun time with them. During my break I prepped to sub for Andy's 8th grade science class and 7th grade World Religions class. At 11, I had a party with my 3rd grade class. We played charades (which they didn't understand at first, but had fun once they caught on).
At 11:45 I dashed over to the 8th grade class. They were just finishing their break, so I had some time to set up the whiteboard for Review Jeopardy. I had prayed on the way to school and during every break that I would walk in the strength of the Lord (and not my own) to teach the class. With all the things I've heard from fellow teachers, I was a little apprehensive... When the eight graders came into class, I warned them that if they misbehaved I would have to take them with me to my 4th grade math class at 12:15. Five students walked into class late, so I had the other students tell them what the punishment would be for causing problems. Thankfully Jeopardy was a big hit. The class erupted into laughter at one point when a fellow student gave the wrong answer, but all I had to say was, "the 4th graders will be laughing at you too when you have to come sit in their class" and they stopped making fun of each other. :) Had to break free a little after 12:15 ("Okay, last question. Okay, one more question. Alright, this is it for Double Jeopardy.")
My 12:15 class wasn't too good by comparison. The boys get so rowdy and determined to do whatever they have their mind set on. We played review tic-tac-toe, but none of the boys were interested in watching/helping their teammates. I ended up having them write "how I am going to be better tomorrow" letters before I left class. Went straight to 7th grade World Religions. We did Review Jeopardy in that class too, but they were much more talkative. No wonder Andy's voice is gone! There was a group of boys in the back that wouldn't stop talking, so I made them copy sentences "I will be respectful in class." Lame! The students who were paying attention (there were quite a few ... the noisy ones were just more noticeable) seemed to enjoy playing. We got down to a tie breaker which was pretty dramatic.
Relieved to have a break. Talked to teachers and then off to visit with students as they left. I never know who I'm going to see, but it is always fun to hear them call out, "Miss Helen!" I talked with a group of 3rd grade boys today. They are all disappointed that I won't be teaching them next year ... praying for opportunities to continue my relationships with them.
Took a taxi to Andy and Lisa's house, so I could pick up their documentation to give to our rep tomorrow. He is *supposed* to go to the RO for us tomorrow. (Thankful to hear that Andy's voice is a little better, though it is only a bit louder than a scratchy whisper.) Home for a snack and then Skyped with the family for almost two hours. It will be strange to talk with them in person! Definitely a good kind of strange! :)