My last full day of school. Well, it was supposed to be, but in typical Kurdish style, we found out the morning of that school would end at 1pm. My 9:15 class went well. I wrote review notes on the board for the students to copy. They sat quietly and wrote everything down! During the break I talked with students and visited with teachers, asking about their summer plans and trying to arrange a time to hang out. It was a day of mixed feelings. On the one hand I was so happy to spend my last day with all of these students and teachers that I've come to know and appreciate; on the other hand, it was hard to think of saying goodbye so soon.
My 12:15 class did not go as well. Some of the boys have determined not to do anything I tell them. I wrote all the notes on the board and told them it was their choice to study them for their final. Only a few girls decided to copy them down. Even when I suggested playing games, the boys came back with, "We don't want, Miss!" It was disheartening, but as soon as class ended they were all friendly with me again. At 1pm, everyone went home. I sat with my kids one last time ...
When I got home I spent some time reflecting on the last few months. Came away amazed at how blessed and privileged I have been to teach these kids! I can't wait for next year! Overwhelming emotions led to a one hour nap. Still not feeling completely energized when I woke up, but needed to make bruschetta for our team dinner. Julie made a balsamic noodle bowl and Mary made bread (hence the bruschetta). Lisa made a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. We had a great time of devotions, spending most of it in prayer. A nice Skype call with Dave, then ready to go home.
When I got home, I had an email from Caleb saying that he had had a hard day and needed to talk. We were able to get on Skype and talk together. Getting ready to transition back home to the ones who need me there.
May 22nd:
Spent the morning gleaning wisdom from Julie with regards to 5th grade literature (one of the classes I'll be teaching next year). Afterwards, Dan, Julie, and I enjoyed lunch together, then worked on cleaning out some of their cupboards and taking down pictures. They leave on Saturday! Since they won't be coming back in the fall, we are cleaning out their house, getting it ready for the next tenants. Went over to Andy and Lisa's afterwards. We were just going to catch up, but they ended up having visitors and invited me to stay a little bit longer. It is always fun to hang out with the people on our team. Lisa is really good at making me feel welcome and letting me be a part of their home.
We had originally been told that sometime today we would be invited over for dinner with the governor, but when we hadn't heard anything by 4pm, we decided to make other arrangements. We gathered up the team and headed out to Vin House. Enjoyed a burger (still can't wait to eat a real juicy one in the States) and fries. From there we walked to Mazi and bought some ice cream.
On the way to Mazi:
Zanderman!
Went back to Dan and Julie's to have cake and ice cream. Took some team photos and reveled in one more evening together... not too many of those left as Dan, Julie, and Stacy head out this Saturday!
Came home, watched another part of "Our Mutual Friend" with John and Mary, then ready for bed. A late night, but hey ... no school tomorrow!