Friday, April 27, 2012

April 26th Addendum

In my sleepiness last night, I forgot to mention some important events at the picnic:
1. A lot of the teachers with cars brought them to the picnic. Because of the heat (and lack of shade) one of the teachers had his car turned on with the A/C and the teachers were piled in trying to get cool. There was a point when no one was in the driver's seat and there were only three of us girls in the car. I asked the teacher (Samer) if he trusted me to drive it. He told me I could go ahead, so after getting all the kids out of the way, I drove the car around the dirt loop. The girls in the car were pretty excited that I could drive. We made it around the loop without incident - definitely a highlight in my day!
2. I saw the student that I had dragged out of class (the one I had sent to the principal's office on Wednesday). I made sure to check on him, and asked him if everything was good between us. He replied, "We're okay, Miss" with a cute little head nod too.
3. I discovered my new favorite food, which is called "booreck." It is flavorful, ground meat wrapped up like an egg roll. Really yummy!
4. Even though the pics make it seem like we're simply eating, dancing, and having fun the entire time, I was actually able to have three meaningful conversations with some of the teachers. I'm thankful to see that God is providing opportunities to build better relationships.