Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 11th through 12th (Days 94-95): Ups and Downs

April 11th:
Caught up on chores around the house - laundry, vacuuming, etc. The guys were able to go to the school this morning, so they picked up my math books for me and I was able to finish grading. I also "caught up" on correspondence (my inbox filled up again throughout the day). Felt spiritually oppressed and even though I got a lot done, it was a struggle to keep moving through the heaviness. Spent a lot of time praying and searching God's Word for encouragement.

We were given the okay to go back to class tomorrow, so around 4, I met up with Lisa and Julie at the market and we bought supplies for Julie's class. At 6 pm, the team (along with friends from the fellowship group) convened at Texas Chicken. I like to get something different each time, so I had a Coke Float along with my chicken tender salad. It was good to get out, and I think there was a sense of relief knowing that there was a plan for tomorrow.

I brought back an ice cream for Stacy (she had friends over) and then visited with them for awhile. Skyped unexpectedly with Mom and Dad - thankful to get caught up on life back home.

April 12th:
Slept pretty well last night (the first in awhile) - I think I could finally relax knowing that I'd be back in school today. After my morning routine, I read an email updating us on the situation in Suli. Still a lot of tension and false accusations flying around. Went to school with the mindset that we might be pulled out again. I was glad to see my students and thankful to see that my new "team discipline" method continued to work in the rowdy class. I had to stay on top of them for the entire period, but at least they are not climbing on desks anymore (... or at least as often).

Stayed in the teacher room and graded papers. I had a hard time starting a conversation with the other teachers after missing two days, but as I prayed for the ability to overcome my own hesitancy, one of the teachers dove into a conversation with me about what she had been doing during the break. After that, everything seemed to go "back to normal" with the other teachers. I was actually able to have several nice conversations throughout the day.

The 12:15 class went pretty well, even though we still have issues with cheating. I am hopeful that they are learning, since I don't have any "repeat" cheaters. :) My 1:45 art class was significantly better than last week. I had to leave the classroom last Wednesday because of their inattention; they were severely reprimanded by another teacher, and then, irrelative to their behavior, I didn't show up the next day. This morning, several of the students asked me if I was going to return to their class and promised me they would behave better. It was nice to see they missed me and wanted to make sure I was coming back. Most of the students were fine, but at one point I had to leave the classroom, and told the rowdiest student to come with me. He was afraid that I was going to take him to the principal, but I told him that he was not in trouble. He didn't believe me and even told me I had to swear (which I continually tell them not to do - "Let your 'Yes' be yes and your 'No' be no). I was disheartened by his response and realized that there was no precedent in his worldview that would induce him to believe I wasn't lying. I gently took him by the arm and led him out of the room. After we got the supplies I needed and headed back, I pointed out to him that I had told the truth. I explained that he could trust me, or believe that I meant what I said. I told him I wanted to be able to trust him too; that when he says, "Last time. Believe me, Miss. I will be good." I want to believe that he really means what he says. As I walked home, thinking about our discussion, I marveled at our students' lack of understanding regarding fundamentals, like trust, mercy, doing your best, and standing up for what is right. Burdened more and more as I contemplate the tremendous task before us.

Had a team meeting at John and Mary's to review the day's events and update Dave. He sounded encouraged and gave us some positive news regarding Suli. As he put it, "while the darkness grows darker, the light continues to shine brighter." After praying together, Andy, Lisa, John, Mary, Stacy, the kids and I went to Pizza Hot for dinner. Even though we've ordered pizzas to-go, it was my first time eating in. The food was just as yummy as the last two times and they had really good "finger chips" (both of those being rare occurrences here).

I ate too fast - after not eating lunch today, I was starving - and wasn't feeling very well when I got home. Thankful it is the weekend and excited (nervous?) about going on a picnic with the orphanage tomorrow...