Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 7th through 8th (Days 90-91): Out of the Normal Routine

April 7th:
As I thought about Christ last night, how He took on the lowly form of man and bore sin that was not His own upon His shoulders, I was comforted in knowing that 1) He understands the pain I feel as I struggle under the sin that others place upon me; 2) That God is with me as I face this trial, He has not forsaken me as He forsook His own Son in wrath and complete justice; 3) Christ's work was not purposeless and I can rest assured that God's purpose in giving me almond-shaped eyes and bringing me to this place will be accomplished.

Went to the market with Mary, Stacy and Julie (Lisa is not feeling well, perhaps dehydrated from yesterday's picnic.) Had a nice time shopping together, even though I didn't really buy anything. When we got home, I found myself struggling to sort through my thoughts. I wasn't feeling motivated to do anything and couldn't relax to take a nap. Mary was feeling tense too, so I went over to her place for a cup of tea. We encouraged one another then went over to Lisa's for dinner. (Stacy went to church for an Easter service in Arabic.) The guys went camping, so Julie took Zander and picked up Texas Chicken to-go and we ate in at Lisa's. We were able to Skype with Lisa, our team director back in Nashville. I hadn't heard directly from Dave or Lisa regarding the need for us to stay at home, so it was helpful to have Lisa answer my specific questions. After the call, we sat around and talked - just the ladies' perspectives and it was reassuring to know that the others felt that they were receiving the information second-hand as well.

Stayed until after 10, then Mary and I caught a taxi home (the driver didn't really want to give us a ride - it sounded like he was trying to make other plans with someone on the phone, but we made it home.) Didn't fall asleep until after 1am.

April 8th:
Woke up at 7am ... felt much better about the situation we are in. The information from last night provided a framework into which I could sort my emotions. I realized that the circumstances surrounding our temporary removal from school were causing unrelated issues to surface that I hadn't dealt with. It was like trying to put three puzzles together at the same time. Our conversation with Lisa helped me separate the pieces and I could deal with each one in their turn. I spent several hours this morning praying about a specific individual that I had worked with in the past who has come back into my life and needs encouragement. On the one hand, I don't want to act in my own strength to say the "right" things; on the other, I don't want to shy away from the opportunity and responsibility to point him to the Lord, knowing that if I rely in God's strength, great things might be accomplished. As I finished pouring out my concerns and cares to the Lord, I was struck with the marvelous thought that when we come before God, we have His undivided attention which He gives simultaneously to all His people! Amazing when I compare that to the way I have to divide my attention in the classroom and that is only for 20 students.

After I finished my time praying, I checked Facebook and read a startling message from the person I had just been praying about. He talked about the influence I'd had in his life ... I hadn't expected to ever find out whether that time made a difference or not, so my heart overflowed with praise to the Lord who gives us "exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think." I am really praying now about how I can encourage him that it's still not too late to keep from doing things he will regret later in life.

Still dumbfounded, I got a message from Mary inviting Stacy and me over for a crepe brunch. We had some amazing crepes with Nutella and banana. John was back from his camping trip and he told us about their experience hiking the mountain and sleeping in a cave. After crepes, we went to visit Stacy's Assyrian friend (the one who came over awhile ago and was sure I must be Buddhist because of my appearance.) On the way, the sky was overcast and we felt a few drops of rain. We saw R's newborn niece and I was able to thank her in Assyrian (some of the staff at school are trying to teach me Assyrian words and phrases).

As we left, the sky cleared up and we had a beautiful view of the city.



Stacy fixed Egyptian molokhia for lunch and we ate with the Nelson's. I wasn't feeling very well, so went home and took a good nap. I think the lack of sleep and dehydration from the picnic are finally catching up with me. Still not feeling a hundred percent when I got up, but went with the rest of the team for dinner at Sadir restaurant. As we left, a thunderstorm burst down on us. The lightning was beautiful and vivid; the rain came pouring down and we were soaked by the time we reached home.

Not feeling well, so thankful to go to bed early...