April 15th:
Left a little early this morning so I could makes copies of the test. (John and Mary were kind enough to print off my papers, so I stopped by their apartment first - Mary handed me the test, and told me that John has shingles! Another discouragement from the enemy, but John seems to be bearing it patiently. Medical issues are the last thing any of us want to have here!)
Once again, the copy shack at school was running low on paper, so I only copied off enough for my first class. The class was much quieter today and there was definitely improvement. They still don't understand all of the concepts they should have learned already, but they remember the things we have learned together so far.
After my first class, I subbed for 6th grade. Some of the girls from soccer were in the class, so it was fun to see them again. (It amazes me how unruly the students will be for a sub! I remember that our behavior for a sub was always more scrutinized.) Apparently we are going to have an Art Fair at the beginning of May (I hope this doesn't turn out like the Valentine's Day party). Since the kids are "supposed" to turn things in this week, I taught them how to write their name using one-point perspective to submit for the fair.
Went directly to my 3rd grade art class and taught them the same technique. It was really encouraging to see that my third graders were more attentive and even produced better work than the 6th graders! It was a good test to see how much they have improved: working diligently on their projects, drawing more details, keeping their work neat and expressing their creativity. Had a half hour break, which flew by since I had to administer the math test to three students who have trouble with English comprehension, answer students' questions from the homework, and copy off the rest of the tests for the next class. The second class of 4th graders are showing improvement as well, though I've noticed that some of them score really well on their homework, yet can hardly do one problem on the test (they have tutors who "help" them at home). I subbed for their teacher after me and had them work on the name project too.
When I left, I went straight to H's house and worked with J for a little awhile. H is always gracious to feed me. We talk for a little while, then I take J up to his room which doubles as a schoolroom. We read together and play some word games, then H will bring us hot chocolate and coffee while we finish. J has really improved in reading, and I am thankful for new friends. H had some syrup on the counter, which she found at Mazi just a few days ago. When I left, I took a taxi to Mazi and picked up three bottles (one for every family on the team) - we haven't seen any syrup in Duhok, so it's important to stock up on those things! :)
By the time I got home I was exhausted. No time for a nap though ... graded some of the tests, then Skyped with my family. I got to wake up Eithen, but I think he was disappointed when he realized I wasn't actually there in person. Four months is a long time to have not given any hugs to the brothers ...
When I dropped off the syrup to John and Mary after my call, they were just eating dinner and invited me to join them. Mary had made a new kind of bread with rosemary, which was super yummy! So grateful for kind neighbors... not having to cook anything made it much easier to go back home and finish grading.
April 16th:
Last night I had my first annoying mosquito experience. I could hear it, but couldn't kill it. Keeping the fan on during the night helped keep it from hovering over my head. When I woke up this morning I was thankful not to have any new bug bites, but as I was reading and praying, that annoying mosquito kept flying in front of my face! (I actually asked the Lord to let me kill it, but didn't get to until I was about ready to walk out the door.) The weather today was strange. It looked like it was going to clear up this morning, so I prepared for warmer weather, but threw on a light coat before heading out. Thankful I did since it started to sprinkle once I got to school. The rest of the day stayed windy and cool.
My rowdy class lived up to its name this morning. Both teams ended up losing their break (which means I lose mine too ... oh, the sacrifices we make for our kids!) Seven of the boys scooted out, so when they came back in, I escorted them down to the principal's office. (The cleaning ladies sit in a corner next to the principal's office, so they always see me bringing down the kids and they will "cluck" in disapproval. At first I think there was some skepticism from them and other teachers that I wasn't doing my job if I had to take kids to the principal, but since getting to know me a little better, they will now scold the students as I bring them by.) When we got to the door of the office, the boys started arguing with me about why they "deserved" their break. As I waited patiently for them to finish, two of the boys surprised me. They actually apologized for taking up my class time and not taking the punishment they deserved. (Did I actually just hear them say that?!) Hopeful that it came from their hearts, I let them go back to class ... just in the nick of time, because the principal came out, asked me what had happened, then took the other five into his office. Later, as I was grading papers in the teacher's lounge, he came and told me that he had given the boys yellow cards, which their parents would sign and return to him. I was really encouraged to have so much support from him, especially since I have been trying not to go to him immediately, but implement methods that will motivate the students instead of squelch their efforts.
Spent my break grading tests, then headed off to the second 4th grade class. It seems like they are starting to understand more of the lessons. I am encouraged to see that the middle level students are making improvements. Not only do they turn in homework, they are also participating in class and making an effort to learn. It is interesting to be on this side of the gradebook. I am beginning to understand the frustrations I could sense from my teachers, not necessarily because of me, but because no matter how they taught, the attentive, "good" students always did well and the poor students always did poorly. It is really the "middle" group that I have to focus on and watch for their advancement. The climax will be the day when all of my students are active in their own education, striving to grow their minds and reaching out for new opportunities.
Came home and took a nap. My allergies have really been bothering me and I think a cold may be setting in. My body is aching and tired. Feel tension building, but not sure why. After my nap, I made dessert for our team dinner tonight - Brownie Batter Dip with crackers and fruit on the side for dipping (compliments of Stacy). We moved our team dinner to 5pm so we could all get home earlier. Julie made Taco Salad; chips and toppings by Lisa; and Mary's salsa and queso on the side. For team time, we wrote down the lies we tell ourselves or that the enemy whispers to us, then countered them with Scriptures. Spent a good time praying. By the time we'd finished eating, I was feeling worse. I almost went home after team devotions, but decided I'd better just stick it out. Skyped with Dave and Lisa and found out that the situation in Suli is not getting better. Our teammates may be going back to America soon. Lots to keep praying about. Thankful that it has not reached us, but eager for the Lord's will to be done, knowing that this is not easy for our colleagues.
Made it home, ready to crash into bed and hoping I feel better tomorrow.