April 1st:
Can't think of a good April Fool's, so I won't even try. Of course, it was about a year ago that I first started contemplating Iraq. That would have been a good April Fool's, if I had been joking ... but now I am really here. Got to Skype with the fam this morning. They are down in Santa Cruz with my aunt and uncle so I was able to say hi to everyone. Stacy and I went to Mazi around 10:30, then I walked to the bank and got money from the ATM - it's the only one I know of in the city, but pretty amazing that we have that convenience available! It is also cheaper than having money wired through Western Union. From there I went to H's house to tutor her son. We ate lunch together (she is an amazing cook!) and then J and I played a couple word games and read some books together. H and I visited together and took a walk in the sun while J rode his scooter.
When I had my training in December, Dave and Lisa prepared me to go easy on myself, explaining that I would probably shop at the same markets and maintain a small comfort zone for several weeks. I have continually reminded myself not to expect too much, though wondering in the back of my mind if I would ever venture outside of the triangle made up of school/market, Andy and Lisa's, and home. Thankfully, God continues to provide opportunities that take me a little further from our neighborhood (like tutoring J and going to the soccer clinic.) It's encouraging to see that I'm learning over a natural period of time instead of feeling compelled to push myself!
On the taxi drive home, I noticed that the "Close" sign (that's not my typo) on Texas Chicken was finally down! I texted everyone on the team and the replies started flying in. We decided we'd give it a try for dinner. After I got home, the enemy really tried to discourage me, attacking my sense of belonging and ability to work with others. I think the attack was directed against the spiritual refreshment I received yesterday. Even though it was difficult not to look at my shortcomings and feel sorry for myself, I tried to ground my thoughts in God's goodness.
Walked down to the money-changers, then bought an internet card and a phone card. John, Mary and I carpooled to Texas Chicken. We were relieved beyond words when we found it was actually open (we had gone several times and each time they told us to come back in a few days). The food was amazing! We ordered, re-ordered, and ordered again. In the end, I had a sandwich, fries (yes, they were actually called "fries!"), a drink, and a biscuit covered in chocolate with ice cream. I think between the entire team we ended up ordering almost everything on the menu! :) A special treat that makes you realize how much we take for granted... so glad it wasn't an April's Fools Grand Opening! Even though I missed out on a family trip to California, the opening night of "The Hunger Games" with Hannah, and taking Eithen to the Dennis the Menace Park, Texas Chicken was a pretty good replacement. I think the best part was how happy it made everyone on the team to be there. Zander didn't have any accidents, Henry and Zephie were content, we met new people, saw old friends and students, and enjoyed every bite of our meal!
When I got home, Stacy wasn't there yet, so I left off most of the lights and got ready for bed. As I came out of the bathroom, I walked right into the TV cabinet door that had been left open. (I've caught myself several times from walking into it and wondered when I'd get it good - wasn't even thinking about it this time!) The door snapped on its hinge and the glass shattered everywhere! I spent almost an hour cleaning up all the shards. One sliver got stuck in my finger, but thankfully I was able to pull it out and stop the bleeding. The adrenaline was rushing through my body after that and I had a hard time falling asleep.
April 2nd:
Didn't sleep very well. I had a dream about Jeremiah. Yesterday was the one month mark since his death. The dream was very real and I had a hard time convincing myself it wasn't. The rest of my day seemed to be affected by that. Reminded me to pray for the Suli team and Jeremiah's family.
Getting ready this morning I could hear the birds chirping outside my window. You hardly ever see them unless you look closely in the trees, but it is a sweet sound to wake up too. There's not much wildlife, so we all get excited when we see a fish or a bird or a salamander (a student brought one to school the other day). We get excited when we see a mosquito too, but that is usually for other reasons :)
My 9:15 class was awful this morning. The vice principal came in and reprimanded them, then told them they would either have to clean the "garden" during their break for punishment or they would lose PE. Since they didn't quiet down, it fell to me to follow through. As there was no PE for them today, I told them they needed to clean the "garden." They rushed outside and announced that it was all clean. Since I wasn't in the mood to argue with them, I lined them up against the wall and made them stand there for the rest of the break. The vice principal saw it, approved, and then asked if they should stay for the second break as well. Since they had continued to be disrespectful in class after being reprimanded (and had not improved on the wall), I thought it would be appropriate...
After the break ended, I walked to Zanest, the art supply store and picked up more art books for the classes. I took a taxi back to the school and arrived in time to grade a few papers before collecting the 4th grade class for the second-half of their punishment. They tried to scatter across the play area, but thankfully the principal saw that I was trying to round them up and helped me get them to the wall. (After seeing that the students listen better to the teachers/authority figures who yell at them, I was a little discouraged in my attempts to win them over with love and kindness.) For 15 minutes I made them all stand there, then released a few of the groups who had stood quietly and gave them mercy, making sure they understood what it meant. Most of the ones granted mercy were the "good" students - one group was made up of boys that aren't always the best, but were trying to take their punishment with a good attitude. I asked them why I had made them sit on the wall and they answered, "Because we took up your class time, you are taking our time." I was pretty impressed since I didn't really think they had listened at all during that part of the lecture.
After the break, I worked with the other 4th grade class. We used our time more efficiently, even though I barely get anything done by the time they settle down, stop asking questions, and are ready to listen. None of our students have really had any good classroom training. The hardest part is trying to establish good habits when there are only 6 weeks left of school...
Graded papers after class, then took two of the students from the rowdy group out of their last class since they had avoided coming to the garden during the second break. We sat down in the teacher lounge and I talked with each of them individually. I tried to explain that they needed to accept their punishment, then encouraged them that my desire was to help them learn math to reach their personal goals. Feeling defeated, but praying that God will overcome my weaknesses to reach these kids' hearts with a love for learning.
Finishing off this blog after our team meeting. Mary made french toast and eggs, so we had breakfast for dinner this week. Stacy made jello for our side and Lisa fried up sausage and made cinnamon syrup. Julie finished off the meal with frozen fruit salad dessert. We didn't have a Skype, but spent the time in prayer and devotions. It was refreshing to encourage each other in the Word. Everyone had a pretty rough day and we commiserated, but looking at Romans 15, we finished the time exhorting one another, looking to the God of endurance and encouragement (or patience and consolation).
Going to bed, praying for better sleep that I might wake rejuvenated in the strength that is found in Christ!