We went to Fellowship this morning. (It has been switched to Saturdays for the summer.) It was nice to see everyone again. The lesson was on Luke 22, looking at Jesus as a teacher. I was challenged and encouraged to be the kind of teacher that: leads by example, models submission, meets my students in their failings, and serves them.
After fellowship, John, Mary, Sarah and I went to the Western Union at Mazi to pick up our wire. Thankfully, they were open! When we got home, I read, listened to a lecture, finished the artwork in my room and tried to keep it a day of rest.
Making my space more personal:
My goal for this year is to delight in the Lord. I don't want to simply be happy because of what He has given me, or what He is doing in my life, I want to find my happiness in Who He is. I want to learn to satisfy myself with Him. I want to delight in Him so that His joy becomes my joy, and His purpose, my purpose. I'm not exactly sure what this goal will look like in the practical sense, but I know it will require laying aside other desires and clinging to the Lord only. Through this year, I pray God will show me what it means to delight in the Lord.
The furniture was delivered around 6pm. We were so excited! Sarah's space looks like a bedroom now. She was able to arrange the furniture and start getting settled in. Mary invited us over for dinner, which was delicious! She made spinach pasta with rosemary bread. It was nice to hang out with John and Mary. Henry is growing up fast. He is now eating solids (though he doesn't always appreciate them) and can use the dining room chair like a walker. With school starting tomorrow, I was ready for an early bedtime.
The sunset a few evenings ago:
September 2nd:
The first day of school! As a student, I loved the first day of school - getting to know the teacher, meeting my classmates, wearing a new school outfit, and learning what the teacher expected of us. It was fun to have the same excitement, but this time as the teacher!
For homework, the students who came last week, had to write a letter and introduce themselves. It was fun to read their letters and learn about their likes/dislikes, families, and favorite ways to spend their free time. We reviewed the rules and procedures; it was nice to see how many of the students remembered! There were a few boys in the first class who decided to test my discipline policy, so they ended up losing their long break. Unfortunately (for them or for me, I'm not sure yet) I teach during the first 15 minutes of their break. About 5 minutes before their break, I sent one of my 6th grade students to bring the four boys down to our classroom. They had to sit in my class for 15 minutes, then sit on the wall for the remainder of the break. I think it was humbling for them to sit in front of a group of older students; but it was also challenging for me to teach with the added distraction. Two of the students sat quietly, and I released them a few minutes early. The other two seemed to understand that I was serious about good behavior in class, so I hope we don't have to repeat that scenario every day.
My first three classes flew by. I remember praying silently as I erased the whiteboard that God would give me the right words to speak and the patience to teach well. I think the sessions were productive, but they became one big blur by the end. We covered a lot of material and I tried to use every opportunity to reinforce procedures.
During my break (between 10:45 and 11:15) I noticed that the snack shack was being mobbed again. Last year, Dan was the "controller" and would keep everyone in line (a concept that was foreign to them, but that they eventually mastered.) I stepped in, but am afraid I didn't do as well as Dan. Sarah caught me in action:
After classes, Sarah and I walked to the market and bought some hangers, changed dollars for dinar, and bought white-out (a must-have for school!) By the time we got home, we were pretty warm, but thankful for working splits! I did a little bit of school, then took a short nap (I woke up thinking, "Oh no! I'm late for school!" and was relieved when I realized it was three in the afternoon.) Read some teaching articles, made seating charts, and wrote a "Rules & Procedures" test. I've also decided to use "Free Homework" passes and "You were terrific today" coupons. I hope this will be an encouragement to the students who are trying their best each day.
Ate some leftover pizza before Skyping with the family. We inherited a microwave from Dan and Julie, so leftovers are a breeze! And leftover PIZZA made it feel like I was back in the States. Oh, the little things are so nice here! :) Hannah is home this weekend. We got to Skype for the first time since I've been here. Jaden broke his arm and split his chin, so I got to see the cast and stitches. That kid is a wild one! I only hope he is still in one piece when I get home.
As I close for the evening, I am thankful knowing that it is in God's strength that I walk each day. He doesn't require me to do this alone. He is ever present.