Friday, September 21st:
Thanks to Sarah, I have pics from last night...
At Zeri Park with the teachers
In the flight simulator
At Dumballah
Bershes! (Helen and Helen, Sarah and Sarah)
This morning I woke up feeling refreshed (even though I went to bed at 2am). This was an answer to prayer as I had asked the Lord for help to go to fellowship with the right attitude. John, Mary, and I went to fellowship at 9am (Sarah stayed home to rest and recuperate). We had a good time studying Psalm 81, which went along with the lecture I listened to yesterday - expect great things from God. We looked at Israel, a stubborn, rebellious people, who were intent on following their own hearts. God spoke to them time and again, even promising them, "Open your mouths wide and I will fill it." We were encouraged to NOT follow Israel's example, but to listen to God's Word and believe His promises.
On the way home, I picked up a chicken for our weekend meal(s). Sarah and I have made it part of our weekly tradition. The "chicken man" was much more courteous, telling me the bread would be about 5 minutes more and allowing me to sit inside and wait. Before, he acted annoyed (probably because I am single and Asian-looking) even though I waited outside and tried to be respectful. This culture is difficult to navigate, especially since I break all of their molds, but I trust that God will open their eyes to see that my heart is upright, and I am not trying to offend.
After lunch, I listened to a sermon on 1 Peter from Monergism.com. There were several good points that I will try to meditate on throughout the week, but one that struck me right away was that the gospel is neither cultural accommodation nor cultural withdrawal. I err on the side of cultural accommodation. I want to adapt and fit in, fearing that I will disappoint others around me. The sermon reminded me that our lives, if we are living them to glorify God, will generate praise and criticism. "Whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation." We are to live deep in the heart of our culture, set apart. Later in the evening I was put to the test. Someone local, via Facebook, asked me on a date. My first thought was, "How should I respond culturally?" After going through various responses with Sarah, I realized that I needed to respond in a way that would glorify God. I told __ that in the States he would have to meet my parents first. (Note to fathers: Tell your daughters that they can and should always use you for backup. My dad told me that back in middle school, and it was his words that came to mind.) The reaction was positive, even though I was afraid of disappointing him. I trust God will help me respond to future situations in a way that identifies me with the gospel.
At 5pm, John, Mary, Sarah and I walked to Geli (the park near Duhok Dam) and met up with Andy, Lisa, Zander and Zephie. Together, we climbed the flag mountain, where we saw the remains of a Zoroastrian temple and took team pics.
Zoroastrian Temple
View of Duhok from Flag Mountain
Looking towards the dam
The scenery was beautiful and we decided to take a team picture. I set the timer on my camera and we took our places. The following pics give a good look into the dynamics of our team :)
Get Ready!
Sarah and John are fixing their glasses, Andy is getting Zander-man into position.
Get Set!
Leave a space for Helen! (What is up with Sarah and John holding the same pose?)
Go!
One more just for fun!
A view of Duhok in the sunset:
Zander and I exploring a cave (Batman's cave). I stepped on a bottle as we rounded the dark corner. "Crackkkk" Zander and I both jumped! (Thanks, Sarah, for taking this pic!)
The Kurdish flag
We ate dinner at "Duhok Paradise" after our hike. Our salads included pickled cucumbers (that weren't orange), pickled red cabbage (SOUR!), and diced apples in fig? jam. Between everyone's orders, we Pizza Mexicana (really good and tasted like pizza back home), Pizza Marguerite, and chicken tikka (or chicken on a skewer). Enjoyed a great view and wonderful team fellowship.
Saturday, September 22nd:
In the morning I was able to chat via Facebook with Pastor John. It was encouraging to hear from home (and converse in "real" American, even to the point of using sarcasm!) Went over to Mary's for a waffle brunch. Just as we finished up our meal, Mary received an alarming message on Facebook. Almost immediately, we (or least I) went into the default mode of last year - move into a holding pattern until we hear from the administration. Thankfully they responded quickly and even though we were still unnerved by the message, it seems that the response was faster and more complete. We sat with each other, grading papers and watching Henry until about 3.
Sarah was able to Skype with her parents, and then she and I went down to the market to change money and look for a DVD player and TV. Along the way, we saw a small grass fire. Someone ahead of us had just walked by, but I couldn't just leave it. After all, I worked for a wildland firefighting company! What to do? Thankfully Sarah brought her water bottle and, after assessing the situation and determining that it was just burning paper and grass (no alcohol), she poured water over it while I kicked some sand over the small embers. Sarah and I might just have saved all of Duhok! We ended up going the long way through the market, picking up a few souvenirs and other fun purchases. In the end, we bought a DVD player and TV too! When we got home, we set up the TV/DVD right away. It worked! Three successes in one day - we found a DVD player, we found a TV, and we got it working! Unbelievable!
After some lesson planning, we went back to John and Mary's to hang out. Tomorrow, a rep from the school will pick us up, take us to school, then escort Mary back home after her class. Praying that all goes well and we are able to walk in the Spirit.


