Sunday, September 9th:
Happy news - I found out this weekend that I am getting paid more per class than last semester. Barring any surprise expenses, I hope to save up enough for a roundtrip ticket for Mom so she can come visit me (when she gets here, then I'll tell Dad that I could only afford a one-way!) :) Caleb is already planning on coming in December, but I don't think he will be able to make the trip alone. John, Mary and Sarah are planning on going home for Christmas break; Andy, Lisa and the kids will go visit another country then, so it would be nice to have Mom and Caleb here.
The highlight of the day occurred in my second class (5A). Following a very simple lesson from our book, I used the last fifteen minutes of class to ask the class, "Where did math begin?"
They spent several minutes guessing.
"Rome."
"America."
"Egypt."
At last, one student whispered something about Adam and Eve.
"Right! God created math when He created the earth."
Thoughtful looks.
"Well let's talk about it. Did man create math?"
Some students try to give examples of ways that we have "created" math, but I explain that we simply invented the symbols that help us explain math.
Another student points out that Adam didn't have the symbols, but he counted the animals.
"Exactly!" (My heart is beating faster and I know my excitement is evident.)
"So how do we know that 1 x 3 will still be 3 tomorrow?" Pause. "Think about this and come ready with an answer tomorrow. I'll give you a hint, it has something to do with the fact that it was created and Who created it."
During a break between classes, I had two girls come up to me and tell me they like math now. "You actually explain the lesson, Miss!" It was neat to see them so excited. They added, "We really like the 1 finger, 2 finger system too." Music to a teacher's ears! :)
My first class was pretty rowdy, so I ended up keeping five of the students during their long break, which meant they had to spend 15 minutes in my 6th grade class. It was tough, but as we talked about their behavior afterwards, each one responded with how they could be better tomorrow. Praying that there will be a break-through with each of my students.
Sarah and I had just started walking home, when one of the teachers offered us a ride. This particular teacher has been very friendly with John and Mary, and I got to know her a little bit last year. Most of her children are grown, and she is motherly in her concern for us. Thankful for the relationships with teachers and trusting that they will continue to develop.
Completed a lot of grading, just in time to Skype with the family. The computer made the rounds ... poor Dad went last and probably had the shortest amount of time since I had to leave so we could meet the team at Dream City. Andy and John have been under the weather the last two days, but feeling a little better today. We stopped in at the cafeteria and had some dinner, then went on the Ferris Wheel for a view of the city. There is no set number of cycles; we simply asked the operator to stop when we were finished. Apparently he couldn't stop the ride after just letting a new group on, so we had to wait to go around once more. :)
Sarah and I made a quick Mazi run afterwards (Dream City and Mazi are right next to each other.) We picked up groceries for Wednesday night's team dinner and a few other odds and ends. I had a migraine (they have been coming on more frequently this week) and my low back has started hurting again. I wore tennis shoes to Dream City, hoping that would alleviate some of the pain. God was very good to me and gave me the strength to be with everyone and get what we needed at Mazi. I even found a storage basket for my room, which I've been shopping for around town very unsuccessfully.
As I ended the night, I did some research on math, its origin, and how it shapes our view of the world. I found this interesting fact: "The New York Times reported that mathematicians believe in God at a rate 2 1/2 times that of biologists, quoting a survey of the National Academy of Sciences." Encouraged to know that there is a reason to teach math!
Monday, September 10th:
Talk S-L-O-W-E-R, talk S*L*O*W*E*R, talk S.L.O.W.E.R ... my mind kept repeating that over and over again today. Apparently some of the sixth grade students sit through an entire session without understanding half of what I've said. The primary student who keeps mentioning it likes to complain about everything, so I'm not convinced that it is simply my Western accent that is the problem. However, I know that I need to talk slower anyway ... based on a few experiments today, attention increases dramatically when I enunciate my words.
My first class was attentive up until the last 10 minutes. They can get a little talkative. However, I am focusing my efforts on some of the students that really use disruption to get attention. I read a website about classroom discipline and implemented some of their suggestions, including:
Give them extra responsibilities
Let them determine the consequence for misbehavior
Don't address them from the front of the class, but talk quietly at their desk
I tried to really think through each disruption that arose without allowing it to take too much time. Talking slower helped me process a little faster! I tried having the discussion from yesterday about "where did math begin?" with my first class, but they are less enthusiastic. I really have to remember that they prefer manipulative interaction! (I usually end up making four separate lesson plans for two math classes!)
My discussion in 5A was much more productive. The students came ready with their answers and could hardly wait until the last 15 minutes of class to talk about it.
"Math stays the same because God created it!"
"Good! But why does it stay the same? What happens to things that you and I create?"
We talked about making pots and drawing happy faces. "See how they change each time I create it? What do we know about God that explains why math stays the same?"
"He is the same!"
"Very good!"
We laughed at how difficult tests would be if math "facts" changed every day. How would you know the right answer?
At the end, I asked them to look up the word, "Constant." "This is a math term," I explained, "And you will find that it is a word that describes God too. We can be thankful that a constant God created math!"
In my sixth grade classes we reviewed Linear Measurement, but we also discussed mastery of a subject. They are constantly telling me before a lesson, "Miss, we already KNOW this." So today I wanted them to see that understanding isn't enough. They need to be able to apply, analyze, and evaluate. We talked about several examples of how we grow in our understanding - from how pencil sharpers work to toddlers asking why to my understanding of how to navigate around Duhok. It would be far from the truth to say that they were engrossed, but I hope they were at least challenged. And I did try to talk slower!
Exciting news! We got our residency cards today! This time around was sooo much easier! Definitely an answer to prayer.
When Sarah and I got home, I graded more papers (that is a recurring theme lately). Thankfully, I've discovered that listening to lectures while I grade doesn't make it seem so tedious. If my brain isn't focusing on something besides grading, all I can think of is how good a snack would be, or how uncomfortable I am, or how much longer this will take. :) Yesterday, I listened to a message on work - the primary goal of our work ought to be to help others. Today I listened to a message on greed, and I listened to it again. I am still in the digesting phase. It will probably take a few more times before I start to understand the application.
As I've been grading, I've also been asking myself, what is the relevancy of math? As a student, I was always self-motivated to learn math. My math professors in college rarely gave me any practical reason to further my studies, and it was my own interest that kept me motivated. However, I know that not all of my students have that inclination (in fact the majority do not.) As their teacher, I want to see my students interested in math, excited about the possibilities to learn more and the opportunities math will provide them. The question is, "How do I go about it?"
One student has already won my heart. He asked me a question today related to Algebra 2 and told me that he and his father are studying it at home! I can see his eyes light up when we talk about math and I love grading his papers - neat, orderly, easy to read, all the steps to solving the problem and the answer clearly given. It is motivating as a teacher to work with students who are excited to learn!
Around 5, we went over to John and Mary's for Pizza Hot pizza. Just as we sat down to eat, Plop. An olive landed in the ketchup on my plate. Thanks, John! I think that would go down in the Duhok Book of Memories... if it existed. Came home for more ... grading ... and an early bed. I didn't sleep very well last night, so I hope tonight will be better!