Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 10th and 11th: Hairdresser Helen and the Earthquake

Sunday, March 10th:
It was a strange feeling not going to school today. I still got up at 5am, but I had a leisurely morning, then went over to Lisa's around 1pm. I colored her hair, then cut it. It was a half-day salon treatment!

Putting plastic bags to good use!

While Lisa was washing out her hair, Zander and I played in his room (can you see me?) He had fun burying me under a heap of clothes and blankets.

Nelson's came over for dinner ... Lisa made a yummy Mexican dish in the crockpot. Since the U.S. lost an hour for daylight savings, the family I moved our Skype call to Monday morning my time.

Monday, March 11th:
Today did not go as planned. I was able to Skype with the family in the morning, but then I got some hard news and spent most of the morning in prayer and exercise. In the afternoon I walked to the orphanage. It was a beautiful day ... I really didn't need a jacket. When I arrived, they weren't there. In a mix of Kurdish and English I learned from one of the caretakers that there hadn't been school that day and the girls had gone to their different villages. I enjoyed the walk home.

Later that evening I was able to Skype with Sarah. It was good to hear her voice, though I felt like I should be able to walk into the next room and she'd be there too. We caught up on life over the past couple weeks. I'm encouraged to hear that God is growing her through this time and giving her the encouragement she needs. As we talked, the room suddenly started shaking. It took me a minute to realize that I was experiencing my first Iraqi earthquake! After I got off the call with Sarah, I called my team to make sure everyone was alright. The phones were down though and it wasn't until later that we were able to connect and I found out that none of them had felt it! At least I had Sarah for a witness (and the news confirmed it later that night).