Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 22nd and 23rd: Silent Love

Friday, March 22nd:
No fellowship today as it the Nawroz holiday and everyone is out on picnics. Hannah and I stayed in and decided to make crepes with strawberries and Nutella. This was a morning I'll likely remember for a long time to come!
My roomie, Hannah, slaving away in the kitchen :)

Table is set!

Crepes and coffee are on!


After another engaging 2+ hour conversation over breakfast/brunch, Hannah and I separated to observe a day of rest. I listened to a sermon on Providence and Prayerless - comparing the way Abraham's servant sought for a wife for Isaac and the way Jacob sought out a wife for himself. The circumstances were almost identical, but Abraham's servant pursued in prayer and gave thanks through prayer ... Jacob relied on self. It was a good and convicting reminder that I must seek the Lord in all things. Afterwards, I went up on the roof to read George Mueller's "Answers to Prayer" and to spend time coming before the Lord regarding a great many things that have been on mind lately. In addition to asking for His help and wisdom, I've been trying to spend more time in silence before the Lord - to be sensitive to His Word rather than speaking my own words (Isaiah 58:13)
My view from the roof

The city was strangely silent as everyone had left to go on picnics. John and Mary arrived back into town around 4pm. We went out to Texas Chicken with them for dinner, then visited at their apartment over tea.

Saturday, March 23rd:
Pretty quiet day. I did my workout this morning, responded to emails, and started a crocheting project. Mom sent me the Bible on CD, so I listened to the book of Mark while I crocheted. After that, I read Jonathan Edwards' "Love, the Sum of All Virtue," which confirmed and summarized very articulately what I've been learning regarding delight in (or love for) God as the primary motive for all I am and do. Over the next ten weeks, I hope to learn more what it means to love God, to love Him for who He is and what He has done. As I read some portions of Scripture, I was encouraged by a verse in Zephaniah: "The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." In my margin, "rest" can be substituted "be silent." I meditated on this for quite a while, joyfully in the knowledge that although a symphony of love may not be sounding in my heart, I may sit silently responding to the silence of His love.

In the afternoon, Hannah and I went with the Nelson's to Mazi. I pushed Henry around the cart. I think he missed me ... I've gotten several hugs from him! When we got home, I was exhausted. Hannah made some of her specialty salty caramel sauce, so I stayed in the kitchen to observe and socialize. After a try-me :) I got a little sugar jolt, but then crashed and decided to take a nap. I printed off some things for school tomorrow, then we went to John and Mary's for homemade minestrone soup and bread. I'm feeling spoiled with all this food!

Skyped with Mom and Dad in the evening, then went to bed, praying I'll be ready for school tomorrow.