Monday, March 4, 2013

March 2nd and 3rd: Good Days


Saturday, March 2nd:
Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Today was a restfully productive day or a productively restful day ... I'm not sure which. I finished all my grading and got most of my lesson plan books caught up, including the one for the class I've taken over for Sarah. I was also able to take a nap, bake bread, clean a little, write emails, and then read! I haven't had much time to sit down and read so it was nice to read Mark 9-16 (my chapters for this month) and then some chapters in Horse Soldiers. I had a good day, enjoying the little things.

Sunday, March 3rd:
Today was a really great day. Even though Mary and I talked about some of the things we miss most about home on our way to school, I couldn't help feeling a great sense of love for my kids as I walked into the classroom. Fifth grade took a test today. At times it was frustrating ... they talk so much, even during a test, and they were asking questions about material we had literally reviewed five minutes earlier. But, they are still my kids.

In sixth grade, one of my students called me "Mommy." It just slipped out. She looked at me, startled, and then we both grinned. I can't imagine being the mother of one 12 year old, let alone the 96 that I "mother" every day. But I love that they think of me that way. There is always drama ... 6B has started confiding their dramas to me. I listen, try to give counsel, and no matter what, let them know I love them.

I read something a couple months ago about the way parents can relate to their children (via Lisa) ... the fun-loving child relates socially, the determined child relates physically, the serious child relates intellectually, and the sensitive child relates emotionally. As I thought about that with regards to myself, my siblings, and my students, I realized that God, as our Heavenly Father, relates to us in these ways as well. I've been trying to see how He reaches us in each area over the past few months. Being the determined, serious child, I definitely relate intellectually and physically, but I've never spent much time viewing God as a physical God. As I've prayed for eyes to see, I've learned to be thankful for the way wind feels when it blows across my face, for the warmth of the sunshine that I've been enabled to feel, for the pleasure of taste, and the beauty of sound. I'm learning to delight in God in the physical things He provides ... It is refreshing to realize that He is a Father who can meet us in an infinite variety of ways, not limited by our finite minds.

In the evening I was able to Skype with the family. It is fun to see how the brothers are growing. Caleb asks questions about my life here now. Stephen is becoming more coordinated in sports and reading up a storm. Jaden wears his Duhok jersey regularly (thankfully Mom bought two more so she can alternate washings). Eithen is growing more imaginative. And of course, I love talking to Mom and Dad. It is fun to interact with them when they are both on Skype as it feels just (well, at least almost) like I am home.

Afterwards, I wrote the test for sixth grade, then read a little before bed.