Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March 24th and 25th: First Day of School and Perfect Love


These are pictures of the traffic on the way to Erbil. Photos courtesy of Katie.

All of these cars are trying to funnel into one lane going through the checkpoint and across a one lane bridge.

Yes, they are really sitting on the sides of the car!

Sunday, March 24th:
Woke up every couple hours last night wondering if it was time for the alarm to go off. First day of school jitters, I suppose! Even though I had a good quiet time this morning, I was feeling apprehensive about the day and kept asking the Lord again and again to allow me to go to school joyfully, filled with love for Him. My request was granted as the day progressed. Mary, Hannah and I walked to school together. The roads seemed quiet, leading us to believe there wouldn't be many kids in class today. We were right. I had as few as six while my largest class only had 11. Interestingly, more students showed up in the "difficult" classes (5B and 6A) than in the other two.

I had prepared an assignment on motivation for today. After the things God has been teaching me over the break, I wanted my students to start off on the same foot. Even though there were so few, I could see that God had brought each one specifically. I gave them a chart to fill in. They had to list a couple things they do (action) and why they do them - "I study for math because I want to pass and have a good future." Then they listed a few words that describe what they are (attitude) and why they are that way - "I am silly because I want others to like me." After that, I gave them a list of words and we came up with definitions for each: pride, fear, hate, selfishness, laziness. After that we categorized their motivations with one word. "I want a good future = selfishness or pride." "I want others to like me = pride." "I am angry because people have hurt me = hate." I got a couple questions, "Miss, is it okay if all of my motivations are described by the same word?" Exactly. :) We talked about where these motivations come from (our hearts) and that God does not want us to be proud, fearful, or lazy.

Then I told them I needed to share something really important with them (I've been reading some articles on teaching that have reminded me to talk less and make sure I use very specific words to grab students attention. "Important" is one of those words for my students.) They perked up. I explained that I completed this assignment for myself over the break. And when I finished, I had to ask myself, "What does God say is supposed to be our one motive for everything we do?" One student raised his hand, "Pray." (His English suffered over the break and I could tell he didn't quite understand the question, but he obviously knew where I was headed.) I asked him, "Why do you pray?" "To go to paradise." I asked him what kind of motive this was ... selfishness, pride, laziness depending on the reason you wanted to go to paradise. So why should we pray? Thoughtful looks across the classroom. I steered each class to the answer in a different way. Sixth grade was the most memorable. One student rambled on (she is a talker) about being able to pray for anything we wish for because we know that God will give it to us. "But is that why we pray? If you asked God give to give you a Porsche, are you asking for it because He has to give it to you?" Another student chimed in, "My father promised me a Porsche if I pass every grade and graduate high school." "Okay, but what if that year, all Porsche's were made poorly and everyone with a Porsche got in an accident. Should your father still give you one? Would you be upset with him if he didn't." "No." "Why not?" "Because I love him." So even if God doesn't give us what we ask for (I was reminded of the verse, "How much more does your Heavenly Father know what is good for you?"), our attitudes should reflect ... "that we love God." And that should be our motivation for everything we do - "Because we love God." Love is the opposite of all the motivations that are naturally in our hearts. "Love casts out fear." Love is what God says should be our reason for all that we do and say and are. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

We talked about being characterized as people who love God. We know there are those who hate God and we can see it in all of their actions. Over the next ten weeks, we are going to focus on learning math because we love God and we are going to strive to love others because we love God.

I waited for Hannah in the teacher's room. A lot of the teachers were styling new haircuts and new clothes. We talked about their breaks - some went to their villages while others stayed in Duhok and went on picnics outside the city. Hannah and I taxied home, then I took a good, long nap. I Skyped with my family for a little bit before we left to meet the Bishops at the fish restaurant near the market. In the evening I finished a couple things for school and went to bed.

Monday, March 25th:
Since yesterday was a long post, I'll keep it brief today. Most of my students were back and happy to see each other after the long break. All of my classes went really well, and the students were attentive. I've decided to have a daily verse to help us focus on our goal. Today's was "Perfect love casts out fear." 

After school, Hannah and I taxied home and picked up some veggies from the corner store. I Skyped with my friend in the Philippines, then Hannah and I put together a cucumber, tomato, and onion salad for tonight's side. We left for Andy and Lisa's a little after 3:30 and decided to walk, taking advantage of the nice weather. We ate dinner together. The guys went out for rotisserie smoked chicken, which we ate with Mary's pretzels and our salad on the side. Mary and I left a little before 7pm so she could go to a doctor appointment. Office hours aren't 9-5 like in the States, since people here are mostly active from 10 am - 2 pm and then from 6-10 pm. The waiting area consisted of some plastic chairs scattered around the foyer where women sat until they were called into a small room off to the side. The receptionist called about 7 women in at a time (none of which were allowed to be accompanied by their family or friends.) From there, Mary said they were called into the examination room. I waited out in the foyer for her, reading on my iPad. Thankfully she was second in line and we were home a little before 8pm.