Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 4th and 5th: Living in Iraq?

Monday, March 4th and Tuesday, March 5th:
I've been thankful for two more good days. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here are some picture highlights. On Monday, I opened the envelope that Mom brought with her in December. It was marked "March" and had notes from the brothers. It was fun to read the notes from so far away and know that they were thinking of me.



Along the walk to school they've been planting trees in the sidewalk. As I started my fifth grade class, we saw an entourage of important-looking people walking along the road followed by media cameras. My students informed me that it was the Minister of Forestry, coming to "plant" the first tree. (We saw the footage later that night on TV at the restaurant.)

Since I'd already pulled out my camera, I decided we'd spend the last five minutes of class taking pictures:

Some of their expressions betray them ... I love this class!

Andy and Lisa brought a package that arrived for me today - all the way from Grants Pass, Oregon! Fun to get some goodies from home ... including brownies, Valentine's cards and a book about math (my Nawroz break reading).

Monday night we had team time at John and Mary's. It was an encouraging time of singing, reading Scripture, and praying together. We went to A to Z, Zander's favorite restaurant, for dinner. Since there wasn't school the next day, I went over to Andy and Lisa's for a late night girl talk with Lisa, an even later movie when the guys got home from basketball, and a really early bedtime (as in early morning!) I had a lot of fun ... even when I had to get up the next morning and taxi home.

John and Mary had just made waffles and invited me over some. What a yummy way to start the morning! I vacuumed, cleaned, did laundry, and got some grading done afterwards. Around 2:15, we taxied to the Duhok Club for Andy's first basketball game as the coach of a local team.

Coach Andy:

It was an intense game. We were on the edges of our seats until the very last second. One of Andy's players shot a three-pointer to tie up the game and take it into overtime. The five minutes of OT were just as intense. In the end ... Andy's team won! Go Duhok!


Zander made a beeline down to "Daddy" once the game was over. Andy handed over his clipboard. Zander then proceeded to follow "Daddy's" example by giving directions to the assistant coach. I couldn't help snapping this cute shot :)

We celebrated the victory with dinner at Vin House. As we left, there was a thunderstorm brewing outside. You can't see much in this picture, but there was lightning in the distance. I took a picture for the irony ... just today I figured that we were done with the heavy rains and leaky walls. I finally moved my furniture back against the outer wall of my room ... let's hope the plaster job on the outside holds!

The last two days have been filled with very-American activities. Sometimes it is hard to remember that I live in Iraq ... but the realization comes quickly enough. For instance, at the basketball game, when I glance around the gym and the TV cameras are focused on the American spectators. Or when I have to remember not to shout too loudly at the missed foul-shot. Or when I sit down to write the blog and the city electricity goes out... It's all part of a day in the life over here, but we are thankful for the blessings, no matter how small or insignificant they might seem by comparison in America. :)