Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 6th and 7th: Factors and Multiples


Tuesday, November 6th:
Last night’s study on mercy was really encouraging. I woke up feeling more refreshed than I have all week. God continued to shower me with blessings throughout the day: loving students, beautiful weather, and time outside the house. After school, the girls on our team headed to the market. We had a fun time digging through piles, not looking for anything in particular. Mary and Sarah headed home a little after 4pm while Lisa and I kept shopping. Andy came by with the kids and picked us up about an hour later. No sooner had I jumped in the car than Zander asked, “Helen, what are you doing? Are you coming to dinner?” Lisa made the invitation official and added that she already had a Mexican casserole made up. If Zander’s cute smile hadn’t been enough, then the mention of Mexican certainly helped me make up my mind. We ate a fabulous meal together, then visited over dish washing. Lisa whipped up a cherry, poppy seed bread roll for dessert. Yummy! I headed for home a little before 8, then finished my schoolwork for the day.

Wednesday, November 7th:
After the break, my students in 5B completely changed their seating arrangement. I was hoping another teacher would fix it, but after asking around, it appeared the task would fall to me. This morning was the perfect opportunity. Providentially, seven of my better students were the only ones in class when I arrived. I quickly dispersed them so they would be staggered between the desks. After writing up the names of the more difficult students, I told the "magnificent seven" to choose one as their partner. The desks have two seats side-by-side. As the other students filed in, I directed them to their new seating assignment, next to their partner. After everyone was seated, I explained that each student was responsible for the student sitting next to them. In order to understand that their actions affect others, I would be disciplining and rewarding pairs of students for their behavior. If the student next to them broke a rule, then both students’ names would go on their board. If one student earned a reward for good behavior, then both students would receive it. It took a few examples for them to catch on, but once they did, I had the quietest classroom yet. The silence was so complete that one student whispered, “Miss, they are being so good!” I was relieved, but also prayerful that the lesson I’m trying to teach through this exercise will be received well and not cause bitterness between the students.

As I walked into 5A, they begged me to let them study for Komality (part of their Kurdish studies). I agreed, but told them they needed to do two things for me. The first was to listen while I gave a brief explanation of the lesson (thankfully it was a repeat from last year.) Second, they had to tell me what important event would occur one month from today’s date. One of my students remembered right away, “Miss, it’s your birthday!”

In 6B we were able to review a lesson that I’d already gone over with 6A. The lesson had happened rather spontaneously and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to “re-create” it for 6B. Interestingly, a student asked to review the topic today and I was able to expound on the lesson. The class has been studying factors and multiples. Some of the students keep getting the two terms confused, so I defined the words using practical examples (versus numbers). Early on, we discussed the “factors” of being late to school – waking up late, traffic, the bus is late, etc. I continued the analogy and explained that multiples are the consequences that proceed from being late to school. When we look at multiples of numbers, we realize that they go on to infinity. I explained that there are an infinite number of consequences to our actions as well. Being late to school might affect our grades, our behavior for that day, our friendships, etc. Last year the students read a book called, “Adam and His Kin” with Miss Julie. She mentioned some of the things they had discussed, so I’ve tried to point back to the material to relate math with something the students already know. Today I used the Fall as our “number.” What were the reasons for, or “factors” leading up to, the Fall? As with numbers, the list of factors is defined or finite. But what were the consequences of the Fall? As the list grew and grew, the students started to say, “Miss, there are an infinite number of consequences!” The last consequence we mentioned was the punishment we face after death, which in itself is infinite. It is fun to watch the kids get excited when we “talk” about math instead of “read” about math.

By the time the lesson came around for 6B, the sun was shining, and it was turning out to be a cheerful afternoon. I decided to cut the lesson down to seven problems in honor of it being November 7th. The kids were pretty talkative by the end of our session, but I still enjoyed being with them. It has been easier to develop relationships with 6B, and for that I am very thankful.

During one of the breaks, I was surrounded by a group of 2nd grade girls. They come up to me frequently, begging for hugs and coaxing me to bend down and let them kiss me on the cheek. I love it! It is like having my little siblings and the kids at church around me again. I asked them about their classes and their marks (grades). As I turned to leave, they told me, “Miss, you are so pretty. You look like Cinderella.” I had to smile … I don’t think I’ve ever been called Cinderella before!

Walked home after class, enjoying the sunshine. Mary invited me over for a cup of tea and some delicious Cream Puff Cake! A great afternoon treat! Finished a lot of schoolwork before we had to prep our side (ginger carrots) for tonight’s team meal. Around 5:20p, the Mareen crew headed for Andy and Lisa’s. We picked up some things on the way. I even found a desk lamp at the second hand store!

Lisa made a great meal - chicken, rice, and veggie casserole. For dessert we had baklava (which is the current form of payment that Andy is receiving for giving physical therapy treatments.)

At 8pm, we had our Skype call. The headmaster of the three CSM schools is in America right now, visiting with Dave and Lisa. He and his wife were on the call with us. It was funny to think about the reversal of our situations - that they have been in the throes of the recent US election while we have simply been watching from afar.

Andy drove us home a little after 9pm. I finished writing the tests for Sunday so I can get them copied off tomorrow, then headed off to bed. Couldn’t fall asleep for awhile, since a pesky mosquito needed to be eliminated first. Fact: Mosquito is in my room. Factor: Door was left open a little too long. Multiples: Late to bed, can't sleep, Helen stays up thinking too long...