Saturday, November 10, 2012

November 8th and 9th: Math Analogies, Girls' Night, a Trip with Zander, and a Lesson on Adoption


Thursday, November 8th:
The seating arrangement in 5B seems to be helping. I need to increase the space between desks, but several of my more troublesome students have really stepped up their behavior.

My other classes went well. After letting one student get a chai in 6B, all of my students were begging me to go. I told them that if they could be quiet for a whole minute, I would let them. They clapped their hands over their mouths and we started the timer. At 30 seconds, they almost burst out laughing, but pulled it together until the end. I congratulated them for being the quietest that I’ve seen for a long time. I dismissed them to get their chai’s and cappuccinos and told them to return to their seats quietly when they were finished. The entire time they were gone, I kept thinking, “That was probably a really bad idea! They’ll either be so excited that they will talk the entire lesson or they will expect me to do this every time.” To my great surprise and immense relief, they were amazing for the rest of the lesson and extremely grateful for the special privilege.

We made our way through some new material – multiplying fractions by one to rename them. [For those not interested in math, you may want to skip down to the next paragraph.] I used the analogy of a telescope and a microscope. When we reduce fractions it is like looking at the moon through a telescope. Something very large and far away is reduced down so that our eye can see it (it “fits inside” the telescope). When we multiply numbers by fractions that represent 1, we are looking at them through a microscope. Something tiny becomes much larger. In both cases, the object being examined doesn’t change, but our impression of them either grows or shrinks. The kids seemed to grasp the idea, and I hope it will help them remember the concepts.

During one of the breaks, I noticed a little first grader trying to tie her friend’s shoe, but she seemed to be struggling. Earlier this year, I was reminded that the One I look to as an example of the perfect Teacher was also a Servant. Since then, I’ve been looking for ways to intentionally serve my students – whether that is staying during my break to answer questions or throwing away their trash for them or doing things one wouldn’t expect from a “teacher.” With that thought in mind, I bent down and asked if I could help. After tying both shoes, I looked over to see how the friend had managed her own laces. She hiked up her jeans and showed me – a row of knots had shortened the string, just keeping them off the ground. So cute!

I stayed until 1:45, sitting in on John’s class to help monitor students and getting a lot of grading done. It was another great day for walking home. The sunshine has been so refreshing!

[I think I have something living in my ceiling. I can hear it fluttering around as I write this … yikes!]

At a quarter to five, Andy picked us up and took us over to their house. The guys left to go camping and we had a girls’ night in. We had a great time hanging out, eating cream puff cake, and using wireless internet! I actually got to Skype with Mom later in the evening and that was a nice, spontaneous encouragement.

Henry had a really high fever while Sarah and I were in Istanbul. He went to the doctor and they gave him antibiotics. After a week, the fever subsided. The medicine may have helped, but Mary’s sister-in-law who is a pediatrician in the States wasn’t sure it was actually bacterial. He’s been better for about four days, but today the fever came back and spiked right before we went to bed. We were up at different times in the night, praying for him. Mary and John will probably try to take him to the doctor again this week.

Friday, November 9th:
All the way through college, girls’ night meant staying up until 4 in the morning, going for a midnight run to Wal-Mart, eating junk and watching movies, then sleeping in until noon the next day. Now that the majority of my friends are married with kids, girls’ night looks a lot different. We might stay up “late” (until 10:30 or 11pm) and we might still watch a movie (The Incredibles), but there is now the inevitable early morning wake up, diapers to be changed and kids needing to be fed. A little after 7 found Mary, Lisa and I lounging in our jammies and sipping coffee in the kitchen while the babies played on the floor. To be honest, I like girls’ night a lot better these days!

After some cream puff cake for breakfast, I got ready for fellowship. Just before I headed out the door, I asked Lisa if she thought Zander would want to come with me and if she would be willing to let him. Zander was playing in his room when she asked him. He replied, “Of course” (which is my favorite phrase of his) and then he jumped up, put on his shoes and headed for the gate! We were able to get a taxi pretty quickly for a Friday morning and had a nice drive to fellowship. Zander was great the entire time and enjoyed seeing his friends.

Our study was really applicable to the things I’ve been thinking about this week. We looked at Galatians 3 and 4, focusing specifically on our adoption as children of God. As we examined why the Galatians might have desired circumcision and conformity to the law, I realized I could relate. Last year, it was such a burden when I found out that people here assume that I am a prostitute, unclean and immoral because of my physical features. It filled me with shame and I immediately sought how I could cover it. What a discouragement when I realized that apart from plastic surgery (not too far off from circumcision), nothing I could do would convince them. After a long struggle, God taught me that as I must depend on Christ to cover me before God, I must also trust Him to cover me, to make me clean, before these people. The Galatians were being told the same thing. Christ is the One who presents us spotless before God, bringing us to Him as sons and daughters, and allowing us to experience the privileges of children. They could fellowship with the Jews because Christ had made them joint heirs.

The study was also applicable as I’ve had more students and teachers interested in my physical adoption. When I show them pictures of my family, they want to know why I don’t look anything like them. A student came up to me at the beginning of the week to tell me she had met a girl in Turkey who was adopted from Korea. She had trouble understanding when we talked about the girl’s parents … “the ones in Korea?” I tried to explain, but felt the vast difference in our understanding of adoption. I was encouraged after the study this morning to be willing to talk about adoption and help others understand.

Lastly, even though I’ve often thought my life would be easier if I bore more physical resemblance to my parents – I wouldn’t have to overhear people asking my parents if I am an exchange student, I wouldn’t have to worry about people insisting on the terms “real parents” versus my “adoptive parents” – I realize that our differences bring more honor to my parents. We have a natural tendency to love things that are like us. In bestowing the fullness of their love on someone who is not like them, my parents exemplify Godly love. God extends the love that He has for His only begotten Son to us, fallen human beings, clothed in nakedness and shame. And then He “sent forth the Spirit of His Son into [our] hearts, crying, ‘Abba, Father.’” Edwards describes the Spirit as the Love God has for Himself. In this context, the Spirit seems to be the Love flowing from the Son to the Father. This same love has been given to us, enabling us to love God as children love their Father. May this love perpetuate thoughts of thanksgiving to God and guide my actions towards others.

Zander played and ate snacks while I visited with everyone. One of the families offered us a ride home. Andy and John were back when we arrived. They left shortly after – Andy and Zander to a picnic after dropping off the Mareen crew at home. I stayed and ate lunch, visiting with Lisa, then walking home. It was a little overcast, but the temperature was pleasant for walking.

Spent the afternoon studying God’s Word, journaling, and enjoying a day to rest in the Lord. Also tried to catch up on correspondence, but it has been difficult without Internet. I have to copy the emails into a Word doc, then try to respond to them throughout the week … it’s just not as much fun! In the evening I made granola (now that the weather is cooler, it feels good to be in the kitchen). Went to bed early…