Saturday, November 3, 2012

October 30th and 31st: A Trip to Istanbul Part 2 (or "I Won the Bet")

Tuesday, October 30th:
After a morning coffee from Starbucks, Sarah and I discovered a neat shopping district behind the Blue Mosque. At 10am, we caught a bus tour in front of the Hagia Sophia that took us along the Bosphorus and through Taksim. An audio recording gave us some of the history behind the landmarks we passed. Sarah and I got out at Taksim Square. We walked along the 3km shopping street where we discovered a Krispy Kreme! Hooray for chocolate covered, custard filled! There was a light rain, so we ducked inside a shop until it passed. From there we walked to Galata tower. There were amazing views of the city from the top.

After we left, we asked directions to get to the next hop on point for our bus. Just as we got near the place, our bus passed by on the other side of the interstate! We backtracked to an overpass and crossed to the other side of the interstate. After waiting for 15 minutes and still no bus, I got impatient suggested that we walk in the direction of the route, back to the other side of the peninsula. We had to cross over the interstate again, and almost died trying to cross. It was a long trek back, through a hardware district and across the bridge.

On the other side of the bridge, just as we were crossing the road to the next bus stop, our bus went by. We figured another one would be by soon, and sat down to wait. We waited for an hour and a half. After my impatience almost got us killed, I just kept telling myself "wait for 5 more minutes ... just 5 more minutes." Finally, Sarah and I decided to walk back to the Hagia Sophia. It was frustrating to waste so much time and I was disappointed since it meant a change of plans for Thursday. We decided to finish the bus tour Thursday morning, which we’d originally left open to revisit some of our favorite places. We ate dinner at a restaurant with a terrace to enjoy the beautiful views of the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. After dinner, we went back to our hotel and booked a boat tour for the next morning. The hotel generously upgraded our room, so we were shown the new room and given a key. From the hotel, we split up for a little down time. Sarah went to Starbucks and I went exploring. A winding walk through narrow roads took me underneath the tram trestle and when I came out on the other side, there was the ocean! I sat on the wall, soaking in the soothing motion of the ocean, the peaceful lighting of the sunset, and the reassurance of people around me - a father tenderly holding his daughter on the rocks by the water, a man fishing, a couple cuddling on the bench.

Sarah and I had set a time to meet again, so I headed back around 5:30 to meet her at Starbucks. Both feeling more refreshed, we walked back to Sultanahmet district to the Arasta Bazaar. We’ve gotten lots of looks (not as much staring, thankfully). Not only are we the only single women tourists I’ve seen, but the obvious differences in our physical appearance make us a little conspicuous too. I still get asked if I’m from Korea or China, but at least the question doesn’t convey a subliminal implication with it. At one shop, a man asked me where I was from and when I answered America, he turned to his friend in disappointment. I asked him if they’d had a bet, and he smiled. “Who won?” Apparently neither one had. “I guess I won then!” We all laughed at that. Before heading back to the hotel, Sarah and I stopped at a cafĂ© for apple tea.

Wednesday, October 31st:
At 8am, Sarah and I were waiting outside our hotel for the shuttle to pick us up. We were taken to Kabatas boat landing with a group of other foreigners. It was interesting to listen to the French, Arabic, Turkish, German, American and British English voices circulating around our boat. The boat tour ended up being one of our favorite adventures. We went to the Maiden’s Tower first. The Tower has several legends associated with it. In one, the maiden Hera was locked away here, but her lover, Leandros swam across the channel each night to see her. One night the wind blew out the light in the tower. He couldn't find his way and drowned at sea. Hera threw herself from the tower to immortalize their love. After the Tower, we went to Ortakoy. Even though the mosque was closed for renovation, we enjoyed going to the cute shops and watching the men cast their lines for fish. They let out a long line, put the hook and weight on the cement platform behind them, then flicked the pole out into the channel. Time after time, they flicked the pole without snagging the hook on anyone, even though people were gathered all around the platform. Truly a talent.

Our next stop was Beylerbeyi Palace. It was the third Ottoman palace built in Istanbul. Apart from keeping the sultan’s mother and brother under house arrest, the palace was primarily used as a summer house for the sultan’s guests. A fountain was built inside the main room, which served as a form of air conditioning. It is amazing to see an enormous marble fountain with a large pool and benches indoors. As there is no kitchen in the palace, all the meals were brought over by boat from the other side of the channel. Imagine what it would be like if you requested some extra bread, or didn’t like the main dish!

After the palace, we zigzagged back across the channel to the Rumelli Fortress. The morning-only passengers debarked while the afternoon riders came aboard. Lunch was served as the boat made its way up the channel to the Black Sea. On the way, we passed two more small fortresses, a palace, a hospital where Florence Nightingale once worked, and the military university where Ataturk studied.

Our final stop was a village situated where the Bosphorus meets the Black Sea. We walked to the old city walls overlooking the Black Sea. From there, we wandered up the hill to the main village. Along our route, we passed three older women wearing the same quaint blue head coverings. Two of the women were on the road, talking to their friend on the balcony. As we passed, one of the women eagerly tried to converse with me. She pulled out some red berries from her bag and intimated that they were for chai. We tried to take a picture, but they declined, gesturing to their head-coverings and suggesting that it would be inappropriate. When we got to the top of the hill, we met three girls running the local store. After figuring out the price of scarves and buying a few, I asked the girls for their names. Fayza, Bayza and Bushera. We scampered back down the hill and to the pier, getting on the boat just before it left.

As we sailed back to Kabatas, our tour guide came and chatted with Sarah and me. I enjoyed getting to know him. A smile and a pair of Rey Ban sunglasses were his two distinguishing features. I asked him about his travels and he has really been all over. He told us that he is frequently asked whether Istanbul is more European or Asian. His answer, "definitely Asian." Their view of Asian culture is much broader than ours, I think. He explained that European/Western countries have many rules and a strict structure. Istanbul is like Asia because people function according to the unwritten rules. "Chaos, it's all chaos. And I love it!" I know westerners would describe the culture as chaotic, but I've never heard a local describe it that way. He went on to say that the culture is also very dramatic, "the men especially." I had to share his smile then. Yes, life is certainly more dramatic.

After he left to talk to the other passengers, I spent time praying and thinking about how refreshing this trip has been. On the boat, my mind was able to wander, thinking about things I don't often have time to think about at home. I am usually focused on students, lesson planning, and team. My thoughts about the future, what I am learning, what I hope to achieve in the next year, often fall by the wayside, or try to creep into my devotional time. It was refreshing to have a time to let them spill over. My mind has felt more focused each morning that we've been here. I hope I can take back some of the things I've learned to my students. It has been exciting for me to learn about Istanbul, and I want my students to find that they have the same joy in their experiences.

The shuttle took us back to the Sultanahmet district, where we asked to be dropped off at the Grand Bazaar. Many of the shops were closing, but we made a “strike attack” (as Sarah’s dad would say) and got some dried fruit and apple tea. From there, we went back to the Sultanahmet Fish Restaurant for salmon steak and a chocolate crepe. The seafood has been a wonderful change of diet!

When we got back to the hotel, I was able to FaceTime with my sister during her lunch break. It was an unexpected and welcome surprise. She listened to all of my exploits, many of which had reminded me of her and our adventures together. When her lunch break ended, Hannah texted Mom, who immediately Skyped me for the next hour. I got to talk to Eithen and Jaden, then Mom filled me in on the family happenings.