Monday, November 12, 2012

November 10th and 11th: Rainy Days, Warm Thoughts, and Encouragement from Home


Saturday, November 10th:
Just after I woke up this morning, I could hear the little critter noises in my room again. The wall nearest my bed, where the split is located and where the noises have been coming from, is adjacent to our balcony. I tiptoed to the balcony and discovered that the split hose exits out a hole in the wall. Much to my relief, the fluttering noises I’d been hearing were coming from a little bird (and not a rodent) that found the hole and has decided to build a nest there. We’ll probably need him to vacate unless he can come up with suitable rent.

I was able to get quite a bit done this morning before going to basketball. I spent time on the Internet, taking care of the things I’d prepped last night – sending out my update letter, replying to emails, and posting to the blog.

The rain came last night, right in time for the basketball clinic. So far, it’s only rained on basketball days! We were soaked by the time the girls’ session was over, but it was a good experience for the girls, teaching them that they are much tougher than they think they are. I am enjoying the clinic as it gives me an opportunity to interact with the older girls in our school, get some exercise, and play basketball (all those years of playing by myself in middle school have finally come in handy!)

Lisa dropped me off at one of the local markets on the way home. I grabbed some yogurt, cheese and milk (yogurt with granola for breakfast, cheese for tuna casserole, and milk for hot chocolate). The rain had slackened, and I was thinking about walking home, but the tile was still pretty slick. I hailed a taxi; the driver greeted me in English. After I told him where I was going, he told me that he had just recently started driving a taxi. He had previously worked for an oil company where he learned to speak English. I directed him down the right roads, and in the end he only charged me 1000 (which is half of what they usually ask). The encounter reminded me that God has ordained all of my relationships here. I need to seek His guidance for all of my interactions and responses, even the ones that seem trivial and routine.

I made some soup for lunch (seemed to fit with the rainy day atmosphere), then made a tuna casserole for dinner. Bacon bits on the top made it that much better! I got a lot of studying and prep for school completed.

Henry went to the doctor in the afternoon, so I went over to Mary’s for an update after his bedtime. John was with the doctor to discuss the blood test results. The doctor had been much more professional in his examination, which had helped relieve some of their anxieties. While I was with Mary, John called. The doctor thought it was probably a virus and should improve within a few days. He also came to the same conclusion as Mary’s sister-in-law, that this was something different from whatever had caused Henry’s previous fever. The doctor told John to come back on Monday, even though that was his day off. He wanted to make sure Henry was improving. We were very thankful, seeing many answers to prayer.

When I got home, I made a large mug of hot chocolate and got online. My friend Jessica was online too! I had hoped to catch up with her, but wasn’t sure if the timing would work. Even though we haven’t talked since I left in August, we picked up our conversation as though we’d just been apart for a few days. It was encouraging to hear about all the happenings at home. I felt like I was right there, having those experiences with her. I’ll miss not being home when her baby is born in March, but I’m thankful we can keep in touch without waiting for the next ship to sail by, as they would’ve back in Ann Judson’s day.

Sunday, November 11th:
Happy Veterans Day!
Today was a little harder with the kids. They took a test, which is never easy on the first day back. Unfortunately, none of them even seemed to be trying. “Miss, Miss, Miss” is all I kept hearing as they asked me for the answers. I tried to “reset” before each class, but all of the students were in a similar mood. By the end of each class I was exhausted. I ended up telling my sixth grade classes that I was disappointed by their lack of effort and wouldn’t be answering any questions for the next test.

I walked home at noon, the sun was shining; I actually felt hot under my sweater and dress pants. At 1pm, I had hoped to Skype with my friend teaching in the Philippines, but with the tropical storms in their area, the internet has not been reliable. The afternoon was spent grading all 91 tests and miscellaneous homework assignments. I started listening to an audiobook while grading, which helped keep the time from dragging. At 5:30p, I went across the hall to join Mary and John for soup and bread. It was delicious! Even though my mom taught me it was rude to eat and run, I did, so I could Skype with my family at 6pm. (Mary forgave me for my impoliteness – she had just finished Skyping with her family.)

I had a really encouraging talk with Dad. I am thankful for a family that wants to discuss spiritual things. Like Christian, Faithful, and Hopeful, we are pilgrims on the same journey, and we are able to challenge one another in truth, exhort each other in love, and encourage one another in faith.

I finished the last of the grading, then crawled into bed. Outside I could hear the rain and thunder, and watched as lightning flashed through the window … lulled to sleep with the feeling that I was back in Oregon!