Thursday, February 14th:
Happy Valentine's Day!
This morning I awoke to good news from back home ... after that the day just kept getting better! We played review games today, which went over well in all the classes except 6B (once again, they had to complain). During the break, I held a meeting for the CSM's Got Talent contestants. Our next round will be on the 23rd. Some of my students gave me roses and cards, which made my day that much sweeter:
After my classes, I was visiting with another teacher in the break room. We ended up talking about my adoption. She explained that in her religion, adoption is "taboo." It was an insightful conversation though difficult to navigate at times. I tried to explain the significance of God providing me with a mother and father, giving me love that I otherwise would not have had. Another teacher (her uncle by marriage) joined the conversation, which was interesting as he seemed to appreciate what I was saying instead of viewing it as "my way, but not theirs." At 2pm, we had a "school assembly." (I found out about it at noon.) The students raised the flag, then a couple classes sang songs. As John helped me corral my students, one of them looked up at me and said, "Miss, Mr. John is good isn't he?" I thought it was a sweet example of After they were dismissed to go home, the teachers went to the break room for a special lunch. Sadly, I didn't bring my camera. :(
After lunch, I walked home, paused for a moment, then headed back out to the orphanage. On the way, I saw three teenage boys rollerblading their way home! With their backwards baseball caps and backpacks, they could have stepped out of an episode of "Full House"! I had a great time with the girls ... I wish I could share more here. As we talked, we went from the way colors make you feel (why do you wear red on Valentine's Day?) to the book on their religion that they had given me. The first conversation ended up being a tool to help me communicate in the second! Very providential! All I can say is that I walked home thoughtfully, praising God for the opportunities He provides. He makes the dumb speak (even in another language), and gives understanding to the foolish. "And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long."
When I got home, I had to change another light bulb (the third one this week). Amazingly, it had really burned out, so much so, the light bulb was falling apart!
Friday, February 15th:
I had another good morning at fellowship. In our study of Daniel 6, I was encouraged again that trouble doesn't necessarily come because of what we've done wrong. Daniel was upright, yet he was thrown in the lions' den. Why? As a demonstration of God's power and glory, which was not only seen by Darius, but proclaimed to the entire kingdom. After our study, we enjoyed fellowship over a yummy lunch. One of the single gals and I went for a walk and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Then Andy and Lisa came to pick up their kids (who were staying with the family that hosted). They gave me a ride home. When I walked in, I suddenly realized it was already 5pm! A long day, but very refreshing and encouraging.
John was on a visit with a friend, so Sarah and I went over to hang out with Mary and watch a chic flick. After that, I tried to watch the live stream of the asteroid, but missed it somehow. I went on the roof to see if I could see any tiny specks moving :) and though I didn't, it was nice to know that the asteroid was flying by out there and we were kept safely by God.
