Friday, February 8, 2013

February 6th and 7th: Bella Notte

Wednesday, February 6th:
Today was Wishful Wednesday. I drew squares on the board and each team got to advance one square for a wish that someone on their team shared.  It was surprising how well the students behaved just to tell me what they wish for. Some of them wished that school was only for 6 months out of the year, others wished that they would pass, and then some had bigger dreams - a trip to the moon was one of my favorites.

All of the classes did fairly well. I had another enjoyable lesson in sixth grade ... we were talking about liquid measurements and conversions. We looked all the different things we convert - electricity, distance, water into power, and food into energy. The students stayed with our discussion and it helped to intersperse their wishes as a transition between ideas in the lesson.

I left school right after my classes, and walked home to bake brownies for tonight's team meal. Afterwards, I felt really tired (it was easier being a classroom monitor, I think!) I took an hour nap and woke up to hear it raining outside :( After I finished grading, I went to the orphanage.

When I arrived, I was taken to the main sitting room. The women workers were sitting on the couches and one of them told me that the older girls were too busy working on their homework. I sat for awhile on the floor with the younger girls. They chattered away and I tried to pick out bits and pieces. They inched closer and closer, eager to communicate with me. Suddenly, they would pause, looking puzzled when I couldn't respond, as though to say, "You're a grown person, why can't you understand me?" I gestured and did my best with the few words I know. They continued chattering, undeterred. Within a few minutes, nearly all five of them were in my lap. One of the older girls poked her head into the room and I greeted her. I didn't ask to go with her since I didn't want to get anyone in trouble for not doing their homework. She returned presently with another of the girls and they beckoned me to come with them. It was a smaller group as several of the girls were at their lessons. We talked, and I wrote down words as I learned them. I was able to help one of the girls with her math lesson. I was a little worried as her textbook was in Kurdish, but thankfully the lesson heading was in English and I was able to explain the concept on paper and with a few Kurdish words. The girls asked me about my grades in school and then asked why I didn't become a doctor. (Here, your grades determine your occupation. If you have good marks, you get to choose which school you go to and inevitably almost all of them opt for the high-paying professions. Students who perform poorly on the college "entrance exam" are relegated to English and teaching jobs.) I explained that I enjoy helping people (my students at CSM taught me how to say "help"). And they thought about that for awhile.

As I was leaving, two of the girls arrived from their lessons. They told me that they had run back just to see me. I hugged them and told them that I had to leave for a meeting. One of them brushed her fingers across her lips and pouted at me. In Kenglish (mix of Kurdish and English) I understood that she was refusing to talk to me because I was leaving. I gestured back that she had broken my heart. Immediately, a smile rushed to her face and she gave me a big hug. "I'll come to your house," she said. I told them I would get in trouble if I took them, but that I would come again soon to see them. I never cease to be amazed at the warmth that fills my heart each time I visit. The language barrier is getting easier and easier, and while I think I should leave feeling exhausted, I feel exceedingly blessed instead.

From the orphanage, I taxied to Andy and Lisa's for our team dinner. Andy grilled chicken and veggies and lamb chops, and Mary made a pesto pasta salad. It was a very satisfying meal. Afterwards John had a sinus headache and had to go home. Sarah and I stayed for the Skype call (and brownies ... from a mix that Mom brought from the States for my birthday! They were sooo good!) We had a good Skype call and then Lisa drove us home.

Thursday, February 7th:
Rode to school in "Magnum" with Lisa, Mary and Sarah this morning. Today was "Thoughtful Thursday" - for points for their team, the student I called on could share something nice about another student. I led the way, telling the student what I appreciated about them. Being thankful for and thoughtful of others seemed to change the atmosphere of the classroom. I was glad for the opportunity to not just "talk at them" but let them know that I am thankful for each one of them individual - whether or not they excel at math. Overall, it was a good day!

I found one of my girls from 5B in tears during the break. After several attempts, I finally persuaded her to tell me what was wrong. She told me that her best friend had written a note saying that she didn't want to be friends anymore. I told her I was sorry and tried to encourage her to make sure she was being the kind of friend that others would want to have. I told her that I noticed she wasn't as attentive in math and wasn't trying her best anymore. "Maybe your friends feel like you don't care about them either." She said she would think about it and then I reminded her that God is the friend who sticks closer than a brother or a sister. (I was able to talk with the BFF later and learned that my guess was correct. I encouraged the BFF to still be friendly and try to love her because I think she is going through a hard time right now ... I've already had to caution her about hanging out with the high school students, and I think those relationships have caused tension between her and the BFF.)

In 6A, my students were trying to get me to pronounce some of the more difficult Kurdish sounds. I try, but really can't get it right. They said, "Miss, say Iraq" (which has an airy "kh" sound that lingers in the back of the throat). I tried and tried, then asked them, "Do you know how we pronounce it where I'm from?" They laughed as I said, "I-rack." And then I explained that when I told my youngest brother I was going to "Ee-raqh," he wrinkled his nose and asked, "Why are you going to a rock?" The kids burst out laughing ... it's always fun when we can connect a little outside the lesson.

After school, Sarah and I taxied home together, stopping to pick up bread for tomorrow's fellowship snack time and then groceries from the corner store. When we got home, I made a cinnamon streusel bread for fellowship, and prepped some cucumbers for tzatziki (also for tomorrow). While the bread was baking, I cleaned the kitchen and read some of "Horse Soldiers." Dinner was sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, and onions with rice. Cooked together with soy sauce, it almost had a "Mongolian Restaurant" flavor ... but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part! I took a shower and cleaned the bathroom, then wrote out my lesson plans for the week and entered grades, trying to get my schoolwork done early in preparation for the weekend.

In the evening, I Skyped with Mom. Eithen and Jaden were watching "Lady and the Tramp." As soon as he saw I was on, Eithen brought the computer to the TV and told me to watch with him - so sweet! I convinced him to call me when the "spaghetti part" was on, so Mom and I could talk for awhile. We had a good conversation and I was encouraged to hear about my church family's eagerness to know what is going on over here and how they can help me. Sometimes it feels a bit isolated ... difficult to know how to relay the events in my life over here, but just knowing that they are thinking of me was a great comfort. Eithen came in to update me on the movie several times and then I got to watch the "spaghetti part" with him. After that we had to say goodbye, and I went to bed with a thankful heart for my loved ones back home.