Wednesday, February 20, 2013

February 18th and 19th: "Perfect Submission"

Monday, February 18th:
There was an incident at school today that brought back a lot of memories from last year. Sarah and I walked home together to process, then I went up on the roof for some time to reflect. After that, I went to the local shops to pick up groceries ... as I was paying, I spoke a sentence in Kurdish without even thinking about it! Aside from the usual greetings, I typically think of the entire sentence in my mind, then say it out-loud. Today, the sentence just came!

The boys were out playing soccer in our alley. They were reluctant to let me take a picture, but they finally agreed to let me take one of the back of their jersey.


This little guy is one of my favorites. Whenever I see him, I think of Eithen.


Our team time was at John and Mary's. It was good to process the events of the day with everyone. I, in particular, sense the need to learn submission and trust God in all of the ups and downs we experience here. We tried a new restaurant for dinner. The kids at school call it, "Big Chief." But I think it is partly because they recently read "Indian in the Cupboard" :)


Great atmosphere, great food. We think it is a keeper!

Tuesday, February 19th:
This morning I woke up feeling like I'd had a bad dream, then realized it wasn't a dream at all ... Thankfully, my classes went well today. The class that had been interrupted yesterday got to finish their test today. They were thankful, especially as they realized how many questions they would have gotten wrong. During the thirty minute break, 6A and 6B played each other in a "football" (soccer) tournament. It was fun to watch, but I was torn between the two teams. In the end it was a tie, and I was relieved!

I walked home after school, and felt myself shut down. I got home and didn't do any schoolwork. I read, then zoned out for the rest of the afternoon. Mary brought over dessert pizza which was the highlight of the afternoon. In the evening, I graded just enough to get by, Skyped with Mom, then went to bed early.